Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 5740 e-All-In-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer that I connected wirelessly to a Win 7 PC. A month later I  added a new Win 10 PC to my network (LAN), and I also installed the  printer on that new PC. When I went to scan a document using the HP printer software (i.e., NOT Windows Fax and Scan), the printer asked me which PC to scan to, and I selected the old Win 7 PC. The scanned image went to the Win 7 PC's My Documents\My Scans folder, as expected.

Two questions, both assuming I want to use the HP software to scan:

1.  Is there a way to set a default PC to be the target PC for scanned images?

2. How can I change the folder to which scaned images are sent?

What are the answers to these two Qs if I decide to use Windows Fax and Scan instead of the printer's software?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Roy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Roy,

Yes, you do get a more fully integrated experience if you install the HP software vs. using the Add a Printer method.   And yes, you should be able to do a lot more from the PC software rather than the device front panel.    And yes, the scanning aspect of the PC software is significantly more capable than the Windows Fax & Scan.   Windows Fax & Scan gives a good out of box experience, and is sufficient for many, but for those that want to do more, such has auto-crop, rotate, reorder pages, etc... the HP Scan software is much better.

I forget what version of HP Scan ships with your OJ5740, but we did recently release a new fuller featured solution that will accompany the version that installs for your device.   Here's a link where you can get that below.   I'd recommend installing the latest web-downloadable full version for your device first.   Then install this

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi   For Windows.

You'll then have two versions, one called "HP Scan" and the other called "HP Scan Extended".   If you find that "HP Scan" looks just like "HP Scan Extended", then that product had the newer version (we rolled to this newer version about 2 years ago).

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

1.   Interesting, we thought that if you start the Scan sw on a particular PC, that should be the default.  So, not sure how to set a PC to default.

2. We found this relevant resource that will show you how to scan to a designated folder :

http://goo.gl/aHeUnL

We recommend that you use the HP FULL feature software, which includes scan, as it has more features.

These resources will be helpful (New Scan UI)

Scanning for Dummies

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks for that info, and I apologize for taking so long to say so.

After reading and watching the videos, I think the problem may be that I didn't connect the printer to the network (which now has the new PC) when I installed the printer on the new PC. The main symtom of this is that when I do a scan using the little  printer screen, that screen shows only one choice relating to the new PC ("SCAN TO NEWPCNAME") whereas it shows numerous choices (such as Scan to ExistingPCName for email, Scan to ExistingPCName for fax, etc.) for all the previously existing PCs on the network. I did try to connect to the LAN but got an error message saying it could not connect. I presumably would have to start over by uninstalling the printer software on the new PC and reinstalling it, which hopefully would allow me to connect to the network.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but since the printer does print, and I know where scans go on the new PC (Documents\Scanned Documents) when I select that one choice ("SCAN TO NEWPCNAME"), I may just live with the situation as is.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Starting with a Uninstall and Reinstall the FULL feature software wou;d be a good start.

Let us know if you encounter any install errors.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hi Roy,

When you install the software for the printer on each of your PC's, there's a capability called "Scan to Computer" that gets configured to automatically register that PC with the printer.   It does so by registering your PC name with the printer, and also the list of shortcuts "e.g. Scan to PDF" that show up when you select that PC device from the printer screen.   

There's no way I know of to configure a defaut PC to use, but if you don't want a particular PC to show up as an option on the printer, you can disable the "Scan to Computer" functionality from that particular PC.  You can do this by going into the HP Printer Assistant for your printer, and picking the "Manage Scan To Computer" option.   From here, you can disable the capability, which will prevent it from showing up as an option.

As far as configuring the default folder to which scanned images are sent, you will have to configure this by launching the HP Scan software on the PC, and then configuring the shortcut settings and changing the default save folder.    For example, if you want to use "Save as PDF" from your Printer screen, you need to edit the "Save as PDF" shortcut in the HP Scan software.  

If you choose to use Windows Fax & Scan, everything is done from the PC, so there's no choosing of a PC.   Windows Fax & Scan has it's own document management built in, but you can then save the images to the destination folder of your choosing.

Hope this helps!

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your complete explanation. Armed with that helpful info, I'm sure I'll be able to create a workable environment re the HP printer, networked PCs, etc. I should have installed the HP full feature software on the new PC when I added that PC to the LAN instead of taking the lazy approach of using "Add a Printer" from the Win 10 Control Panel.

One thing still isn't totally clear yo me. When I do install the full feature software on the new networked PC, will I be able to do everythng, incl. scan and fax, from the PC without having to touch the printer panel or look at the printer mini-screen.  In other words, will the HP software give me all the functionality as Windows Fax and Scan provides?

Roy

HP Recommended

Hi Roy,

Yes, you do get a more fully integrated experience if you install the HP software vs. using the Add a Printer method.   And yes, you should be able to do a lot more from the PC software rather than the device front panel.    And yes, the scanning aspect of the PC software is significantly more capable than the Windows Fax & Scan.   Windows Fax & Scan gives a good out of box experience, and is sufficient for many, but for those that want to do more, such has auto-crop, rotate, reorder pages, etc... the HP Scan software is much better.

I forget what version of HP Scan ships with your OJ5740, but we did recently release a new fuller featured solution that will accompany the version that installs for your device.   Here's a link where you can get that below.   I'd recommend installing the latest web-downloadable full version for your device first.   Then install this

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi   For Windows.

You'll then have two versions, one called "HP Scan" and the other called "HP Scan Extended".   If you find that "HP Scan" looks just like "HP Scan Extended", then that product had the newer version (we rolled to this newer version about 2 years ago).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.