Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M479dw
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I just bought the Color Laserjet Pro MFP M479dw. I need to be able to scan drawings as black and white bitmap images but can only find grayscale or color options. How do I scan in true black and white?
Earlier solutions to a similar question mentioned Scan to Computer in HP Utility, how ever the only options shown in my Utility are Scan to Network Folder and Scan to E-mail.

Mac OS 10.15.2
HP Utility 5.46.0
HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M479dw

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please update your operating system first, HP Easy Scan is not supported on any version older than 10.15.3.

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and follow the steps to update the operating system.

From HP Easy Scan, select your scanner and click the Presets menu, from there change the Type from Automatic to any other option, then you may change the Color to Color, Grayscale or Black & White.

If you don't have HP Easy Scan, install it from the Mac App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hp-easy-scan/id967004861?mt=12

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you so much ShlomiL,

That worked.

But a new problem appeared - I can't select higher than 300 dpi for a B&W scan, and I need the full 1200 dpi.
How do I do that?

HP Recommended

You are much welcome.

Please change the Source to Flatbed, then higher resolutions will become available.

The Document Feeder's hardware only supports up to 300 dpi scanning, only the Flatbed Glass provide higher scan resolutions.

HP Recommended

I tried all the limited options now. Source (Bron) is only changeable when I select Document, but the moment I choose Flatbed, the options below go to 'No Value' and 'None'
(the screenshot is Dutch) - there are no pull down menus any more.

What am I doing wrong?

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-14 om 17.25.08.png

HP Recommended

Could you please click the Apple icon > About This Mac and let me know the exact version of your OS?

HP Recommended

Sure, thanks for helping

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-14 om 17.42.03.png

HP Recommended

Thanks, but please edit your post and remove the picture with your Mac's serial number, such information should not be shown publicly, for your own protection 🙂

Please click the top Presets menu and select General Purpose to reset the settings @LieveF .

Change the Type to Document.

Change the Source to Flatbed.

Can you now change the Mode to Black & White or do you still see all the last 3 drop-down menu blocked with an estimated 0 MB Size below?

HP Recommended

*** face palm ***

HP Recommended

I still have the same result.

I even quit the app and opened it again, no change.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-14 om 17.49.31.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.