Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I upgraded to Mac Catalina 10.5.3 a few weeks ago.  I can print, but not scan.  Software Update shows I'm updated on my MacMini 2018.  My Hp 5255 OfficeJet is up to date.  Neither WiFi or USB will scan.  The work around using Image Capture won't work, if I go to System Preferences > Printers/Scanners, my printer is there, but if I click on SCAN, it won't scan.  If I click on SCAN on the printer, it won't SCAN.  I've tried all of the suggestions from HP, reinstalled the printer, installed it using AirPrint, no luck.

Any suggestions or other information I can provide?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have contacted HP Chat and they had me do all of the things I had done serveral times.  Then I tried Mac Support for MacMini and they did the same...they think it is a 32-64 bit issue, despite the claims.  I have an appt. with Mac to reset it to Mojave, it had upgraded to Catalina twice without my consent so will try that for now, thanks again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Do you get an error when you attempt to scan using Image Capture?

Have you tried using HP Smart?  It is the new preferred app for scanning in macOS.

You can get it from the Mac App Store.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

I have tried to use Image Capture several times, won't recognize the printer.  See attached screen shot.

HP Smart is installed, it finds the printer, then when I try to Print or Scan, attached screen shots...won't work.

Image Capture.pngHP Smart 3.png

HP Recommended

That is interesting.  There is no reason this should not be working and that printer requires no additional software to function.

Perhaps it will help to just take everything back to the basics.

First let's reset the print system on the Mac MIni.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  2. While holding down the Control key on your keyboard, click anywhere in the list of devices.
  3. Choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that pops up.
  4. Set up the printer again using AirPrint.

If that does not resolve the issue, try resetting the printer.

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults

1. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, swipe left to see ( Setup ) and touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Tools , touch Restore Factory Defaults, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

To restore the printer to the original network settings

NOTE: Unfortunately, You will have to setup the printer over WiFi after you reset the network on it.

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch ( Settings ).

2. Touch Restore Network Settings, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

4. Setup the printer over WiFi again.

5. Add the printer in Printers & Scanners.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

I have contacted HP Chat and they had me do all of the things I had done serveral times.  Then I tried Mac Support for MacMini and they did the same...they think it is a 32-64 bit issue, despite the claims.  I have an appt. with Mac to reset it to Mojave, it had upgraded to Catalina twice without my consent so will try that for now, thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.