3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hp and Mac

HP OfficeJet 5255
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I upgraded to Mac Catalina 10.5.3 a few weeks ago.  I can print, but not scan.  Software Update shows I'm updated on my MacMini 2018.  My Hp 5255 OfficeJet is up to date.  Neither WiFi or USB will scan.  The work around using Image Capture won't work, if I go to System Preferences > Printers/Scanners, my printer is there, but if I click on SCAN, it won't scan.  If I click on SCAN on the printer, it won't SCAN.  I've tried all of the suggestions from HP, reinstalled the printer, installed it using AirPrint, no luck.

Any suggestions or other information I can provide?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
778 744 68 213
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hp and Mac

Do you get an error when you attempt to scan using Image Capture?

Have you tried using HP Smart?  It is the new preferred app for scanning in macOS.

You can get it from the Mac App Store.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hp and Mac

I have tried to use Image Capture several times, won't recognize the printer.  See attached screen shot.

HP Smart is installed, it finds the printer, then when I try to Print or Scan, attached screen shots...won't work.

Image Capture.pngHP Smart 3.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
778 744 68 213
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hp and Mac

That is interesting.  There is no reason this should not be working and that printer requires no additional software to function.

Perhaps it will help to just take everything back to the basics.

First let's reset the print system on the Mac MIni.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
  2. While holding down the Control key on your keyboard, click anywhere in the list of devices.
  3. Choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that pops up.
  4. Set up the printer again using AirPrint.

If that does not resolve the issue, try resetting the printer.

To restore the printer to the original factory defaults

1. On the printer control panel display, from the Home screen, swipe left to see ( Setup ) and touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Tools , touch Restore Factory Defaults, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

To restore the printer to the original network settings

NOTE: Unfortunately, You will have to setup the printer over WiFi after you reset the network on it.

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless) and then touch ( Settings ).

2. Touch Restore Network Settings, and then follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

4. Setup the printer over WiFi again.

5. Add the printer in Printers & Scanners.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 1 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hp and Mac

I have contacted HP Chat and they had me do all of the things I had done serveral times.  Then I tried Mac Support for MacMini and they did the same...they think it is a 32-64 bit issue, despite the claims.  I have an appt. with Mac to reset it to Mojave, it had upgraded to Catalina twice without my consent so will try that for now, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation