Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I have been trying to scan from my Envy 5540 to my computer and keep being told that my scanner is in use when it is not! I can print okay from the PC but have not been able to scan or it appears photo copy!

I have set the printer up again, removed it from the PC and reinstalled and downloaded software and drivers from the HP site all to no avail. 

I am not sure if I am just being dense and am missing something or if my printer is Kaput!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Talman1

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Update the firmware for the printer using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/7902032/documen...

Restart the printer.

Try to scan, if the issue persists.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free tool for Windows to help resolve common printing and scanning problems, such as missing or corrupt print drivers, connectivity issues, firewall issues, scan error messages, printer offline, and print jobs stuck in the print queue.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03286146 Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Talman1

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Update the firmware for the printer using this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/7902032/documen...

Restart the printer.

Try to scan, if the issue persists.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free tool for Windows to help resolve common printing and scanning problems, such as missing or corrupt print drivers, connectivity issues, firewall issues, scan error messages, printer offline, and print jobs stuck in the print queue.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03286146 Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

One or more of the following problems has prevented the scan from being completed.

The connection to the computer has been lost

The scan application application on the computer is currently in use

An OCR application is not installed on this computer.

This has been on the screen for three days now. I ran the scan doctor and it seems to get hung.  I got check marks in everything up to the WIA. There is an incomplete green circle.

HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788

Many thanks for your response. I have done as you suggested and I am now able to scan! 🙂 

Thank you for your help. Dave

HP Recommended

@Nameless007

How is the printer connected?

HP Printer Driver will not come with  OCR application.

I suggest you HP Print and Scan Doctor

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03286146 to Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Keep me posted!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

@Talman1

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I tried the scan doctor several times and it keeps getting hung.  See attached.  It is wireless.  printer.jpg

HP Recommended

@Nameless007

Try cerat a local user or administrator account in Windows using this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc... 

Then, try installing the printer driver.

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8620. I had an internet interruption halfway through my scan and everything froze up on my screen.and eventually only managed to close the program through the task manager end task(ctrl+alt+delete). When my internet was back up I tried to re-scan and constantly got this same error message. Tried the hard rest, no luck, tried scan doctor no luck. Re-started my computer and all ok.  

HP Recommended

@nicman

I have gone through your post and I would like to help

I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.