Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6962
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I turn on my printer it starts a printer maintance check but then stops and says there is a paper jam. I've checked the whole printer and cannot find a paper jam so I press ok and it continues with the printer maintance check. It stops again while doing the printer maintance check and says printer failue error code 0x6100004a. I've searched online and can't find a solution to my problem. I've checked the printer to see if there's something physically wrong with it and I can't find anything. I've tried turning the printer on and off and it didn't work. I've tried going into the settings and restoring the printer, that didn't work. I've tried cleaning printhead and updating the printer but I keep just getting the error code. I don't know what else to try. Is there a way to fix my printer or do I need to exchange it?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@elfqueen

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand that your printer is in error state, need not worry I'll be glad to assists you

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have done any hardware changes on the printer?

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridge?

How long are you facing this issue?

In the meantime, let's follow the below steps.

Reset the printer

In some cases, a printer reset can clear the error message.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Clean the ink cartridge vents and contacts

Ink buildup or debris on the ink cartridge contacts and vents might cause an ink cartridge error.

1. Gather the following materials:

• A pin to clean any clogged vents

• A clean, lint-free cloth

• A clean, dry cotton swab

• Distilled or bottled water

CAUTION:

Do not use tap water because it might contain contaminants that can damage the printhead.

2. Turn on the printer.

3. Open the ink cartridge access door.

4. To remove the ink cartridge, press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge to release it, and then remove it.

Figure : Example of removing an ink cartridge from the printhead

Example of removing an ink cartridge from the printhead
  5. Place the ink cartridges on a clean piece of paper with the ink opening pointing up.

CAUTION:

Do not leave the ink cartridges outside the printer longer than 30 minutes. Doing so can result in damage to both the printer and the ink cartridges.

6. If an orange tab is attached to any ink cartridge, remove it.

Figure : Example of the orange tab

Example of the orange tab
  7. Examine the vent area located on top of the ink cartridge, next to the HP logo.

Figure : Example of the vent area

Example of the vent area
  8. If any of the ink cartridges have clogged vents, use a pin to clean the vents.

Figure : Example of a clogged vent

Example of a clogged vent

Figure : Example of a clean vent

Example of a clean vent
  9. Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris on the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge.

Figure : Example of the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge

Example of the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge
  10. Carefully reinsert one of the ink cartridges into its slot, and then push the ink cartridge down and forward until it snaps into place.

Make sure each colored dot on the ink cartridge label matches the colored dot on the carriage.

Figure : Reinserting the ink cartridge into the correct slot

Example of sliding the ink cartridge into the correct slot

Figure : Example of snapping the ink cartridge into place

Example of snapping the ink cartridge into place
  11. Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to make sure none of them protrude.

If any ink cartridges protrude, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.

12. Close the ink cartridge access door.

13. Check the printer control panel display for the error message.

• If the error message has cleared, print a document, and then check the print quality.

• If the print quality is acceptable, the issue is resolved and there is no need to continue troubleshooting.

• If the print quality is not acceptable, continue to the next step to use the automatic printhead cleaning utility.

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for one on one interaction. 

If your product is out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: https://hp.care/2uJxnug

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hp officejet 6962 error 0x6100004a  I'm having the same symptoms .

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.