Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 6962
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm trying to become more familiar with the scanning process. I see a setting when scanning in regards to image color. It seems to default to color, but there are other options. (ie. gray, halftone, black/white, and auto detect color)

Can someone give me a simple explanation regarding which one to choose, and why one would choose that particular mode?

And also, why not just leave it set to Auto Detect Color always?

Thanks...........Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DJM70 

Good question.  A small amount of color ink is used even for black and white printing. This helps to lay the black ink on paper. It's insignificant.

Would suggest that unless you print only in Black and White, just leave the settings as is (i.e. print in Color)

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Will try to explain in simple terms:

Grayscale 

Black-and-white photos with just a few shades of gray

Halftone

Shaded drawings or photographs

Black & White
Documents with black text and/or line art

You can leave it in Auto Detect Color and then "Save the shortcut"

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks for that,

I'm still confused (no real surprise). But what do you mean that I can leave it in Auto Detect Color and then "Save the shortcut?" Why wouldn't I do that? I always figured that "Automatic" was much more convenient for most things. 

HP Recommended

HI @DJM70 

We assume most customers scan documents with color and wouldn't need to use the rest of the options.

Auto detect  color may slow down the scanning process.  

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks again, that would make sense. I didn't know about the potential for a slowdown in scanning with the use of Auto Detect Color. That fact wouldn't be of too much concern to me, but it's good to know.

A couple more questions: When printing a sheet of strictly black and white text, should I set the printer to Black and white, or leave it set on Color? Also, when printing a black and white text, in the color mode, instead of the black and white mode, is some color ink used in the mix? And if so, is the amount used significant enough to be concerned about?

It's sounding more and more like the plan for me, would be to leave everything set on Color (printer and scanner) at all times. Correct? 

HP Recommended

Hi @DJM70 

Good question.  A small amount of color ink is used even for black and white printing. This helps to lay the black ink on paper. It's insignificant.

Would suggest that unless you print only in Black and White, just leave the settings as is (i.e. print in Color)

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks Greenturtle, that certainly does help. And thank you very much for your interest, and the very valuable information you shared.

Cheers.........................Dave

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Glad to be of help.  Thanks for choosing HP!

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.