Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Impossible to save any scanned document, as I get the error message File not found.

it's nonsense, as the file is to be written.

Reinstalled software, not solvedscan error.JPG - HPprintandscandoctor not solved.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@PIERINI 

If you have not yet done so, try saving the scan to a folder located on the computer in your account.

For example, instead of trying to save to Google Drive, try saving the job to a local folder:

C:\Users\Rober\Documents

and / or

Instead of letting the folder search "find the folder" using the default method (Questo PC > Documents)

Change the search methodology.

Search for folder - Open / click C:\ drive > Click to Users > Click into your Account > Click into Documents

If the file saves to the local account folder, then the "trouble" might simply be that the printer software does not have permission / access to your Google Drive folder structure. 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for suggestion

but the printer  can store the file in the same location if the scanning is started from the printer itself!

sorry I forgot to say this in my first  post

best regards

Pierini

HP Recommended

@PIERINI 

OK - you may not wish to test the local folder and that is fine.

If you like, make sure that the folder to which you want to save the data is shared or at least that you are logged into the appropriate account (if that is applicable).

Make sure that the Temp folder provides the necessary read / write permissions.

Note: This is not likely the issue; it does somewhat take place of testing a local folder as destination.

Temp_Folder_Permissions_1Temp_Folder_Permissions_1

Make sure that you can save a file to the folder from anywhere outside of that folder.

For example, try a simple copy of a file located elsewhere in your account into the destination folder.

If I think of anything else to offer, I will post back.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This is very frustrating read the fixes you suggest.

I can save to my One Drive, but I cannot save the scans anymore to my Computer.  This sucks!

HP Recommended

I saved my scanned file in that location until some days ago, when I got that problem .

I cant imagine the reason, nothing is changed

I have 2 bypass solution:

1 - start scanning from the printer; save the file in the same location in Google Drive

2 - use another location

For the moment I will use the first.

Thanks somuch

R.P.

HP Recommended

@PIERINI 

Frustrating.

Something is different, perhaps has changed down inside your main user account (not necessarily in the Google folder).

If you like, create an additional account on the computer and make sure the new account has administrator privileges.

If the new account is a “local” account, log into your Microsoft account.

Create a test file (Word, Text, whatever is convenient).

Save the file into the account’s Documents folder.

Close the file and Copy the file into your Google Drive.

Place a photo or simple image on the printer glass

Open your HP Scan software and scan / save as JPEG.

Also, please do let us know exactly which scan software you have been using.  Thanks.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Software used is HP OJ5740 Full Web Pack 12,10.49.21 downloaded from HP site.

Test with another administrator user gives same problem, the store locatione is not in Google Drive but in the user root.

All other operations on that location are ok.

HP Recommended

@PIERINI 

From here on, I am guessing - I do not know the precise cause of the problem.

Discussion

Storing a data file to the C:\ disk in your locale account should be allowed.

It seems like the printer software is failing to detect the storage location selection.

If it is not a simple UAC permission error, for example, permissions are set "too tight", then something might be "broken".

If you have not done so, consider:

Remove and Reinstall the Printer Software

NOTE:  If you ignore the constant "Restart the computer" options the first time 'round and nothing works,

Start over and try again, this time adding the Restart-and-log-in where suggested.

Preparation

"Check for Updates" and verify that Windows Updates are current and installed.

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Updates

If you install any updates, Restart the computer and log in

Completely uninstall the printer software

Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features

Restart the computer and log in.

Check Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers –

If you see the printer, Right-Click on it and Uninstall / Remove device

Open Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager 

View > Devices by type

Expand the Printers section

If you see the printer, Right-Click on it and Uninstall / Remove

If you remove the device from Devices and Printers or the Device Manager,

Restart the computer and log in.

Install Printer Software

Download and Save the Full Feature Software to your computer.

Do not "run" the installation yet...

Navigate to your Downloads folder and open the folder so you can view the contents

Right-Click on the program and select to Run as Administrator

After the software installs, Restart the computer and log in.

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Try scanning using the HP Scan software and saving the file to a local folder (for example Documents)

and / or

Add the following scan software to your printer software installation.  HPSE works along size with your printer software - the main software infrastructure must be installed and be functional.  In general, the "printer software must be healthy" definition includes the basic ability to scan.  In some cases, the HPSE might be a bit "smarter" than the basic scan software.

Link / Download:  HP Scan Extended 

Download, save, and install to use.  Exceptional free HP scan program:  HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  May include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

NOTES

• HPSE is an older subset of the printer software; features are very similar to scan software included in 2015 or newer Full Feature Software packages.
  • If you have the newer version of the scan software inside your Full Feature Software, use that: Printer Assistant shortcut icon on Desktop (named for printer) > Scan a document or image (wording varies).
  • Although the HPSE program works as a separate program, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the printer software. The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL: Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Clickexe > Select Pin to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start

Open the software, select a shortcut, set the options on the main menu,

For example, if you want the software to extract the boundaries of the item to be scanned,

Select Page Size = Auto Detect Size

Click More >  Select Sub Menu Destination

Set / Verify the Destination is set to save the scan to a local folder, for example, Documents,

When ready, Click Scan

Example

NOTE:  Options for Save to PDF and Save to Photo behave in a similar manner.  Click / Select to check what is available.

HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1

HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1EHPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1E 

More  "pretty smart" scan software options:

Link and Download  NAPS2 

Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).  Includes OCR.  Download, save, and install to use.

Brilliant software - free - and a few restrictions

NAPS2_Import_2CNAPS2_Import_2C

and

HP Scan and Capture

Windows Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

NOTE:  I am not sure how Scan and Capture feels about Google Drive, the first time you try the software, select a "local" folder in your account.

Scan_and_Capture_PreferencesScan_and_Capture_Preferences

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer series

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL 

Can you take a look?

- What am I missing?

Problem:   "out of the blue", customer cannot save to local account folder - original issue was / is that scans (using HP Scan) cannot save to Google Drive.  Does not seem to be an obvious permission issue, though, I seem to have missed something...

Is Google Drive (or even Documents) sensitive to the Port setup?

Thanks!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.