Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M28a
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi, I have the same problem with M28a: printing but not scanning on my Mac book pro end 2012, running Catalina. The printer shows up on the USB 3.0 BUS when plugged in on either one of both USB plugs.

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Paolo65, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are unable to scan after the OS update on your computer, to provide you with an accurate solution, I would like to know the following-

Which application are you trying to scan from, HP Smart/HPEasy Scan?

Is there any error message when you try to scan?

Do you have any antivirus/security software installed on your computer?

Meanwhile, Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Also,  I would recommend you to go through a similar post that speaks about the scanning issues after Mac OS update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply.

My answers inline:

Which application are you trying to scan from, HP Smart/HPEasy Scan?

- HP Easy Scan

Is there any error message when you try to scan?

- The scanner does not show up in the scanning window

Do you have any antivirus/security software installed on your computer?

- No

I read through the messages you pointed me at and used Apple's image capture. It doesn't work either (scanner is not listed). 

HP Recommended

@Paolo65

Let us try removing and adding the printer. Here is how you can do it-

•  Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  •  Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer.
  •  If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.
  •  Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.
  •  Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.
  •  Try to scan

Let me know if this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

thank you for your suggestions. I have done all this already a couple of times with the same outcomes: the printer works fine, the scanner is not even available under EasyScan, Apple Image Capture, VueScan. I would regard myself as an experienced user (30+ years working with PCs).

HP Recommended

@Paolo65

Thanks for replying!

I would recommend you follow the steps from the document HP Printers - USB Scanner Connection Error (Mac)  for help.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.