Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Just took delivery of my new LJ M479fdw (print, copy fax & scan) Manually downloaded & Installed the driver: CLJM478f-M479f_UWWL_Full_WebPack_48.2.4526.exe. Test print is OK. I place a document on the scanner's flatbed, and from my laptop I clk the desktop icon: HP Color LaserJet Pro M478f-9f-HP Scan. In the Scan dialog I verified the settings: Save as PDF is highlighted Item Type = Document Page size = 8½ X 11 Source = flatbed Destination File Type = PDF Destination Send to = Local or Network Folder I then click the [Scan] button. An error dialog box pops up saying: The scanner failed to complete the scan. Verify that the scan feature is enabled on the device. For more information (BlaBlaBla) When I run the HP Scan Doctor, it thinks I am out of paper. The paper is loaded in tray #2. When I check Control Panel's: Devices & Printers, I see the following devices: Fax - LaserJet M479fdw LaserJet M479dfw ( I renamed it to this shorter name) I do not see a device for a scanner. I assigned a static IP to the device and I can ping it from my Spectre laptop. The connection type is Ethernet, Cat-5 cable, RJ-45 connector. The on the printer's web server, under the Scan menu at the top, when I clk the left-hand column menu option Scan --> Web Scan, I get: "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact the person who set up the printer" My OS is Win-10 home, v1903 (build = 18362-267) I would appreciate any guidance on how to get this brand new M479fdw to scan. Thanks for your support.
Howie The TekHead
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I tried the following and it worked, for some reason the webscan is disabled from factory, once enabled scanning will work.

Go to the printer, make sure it is on, tap home, back (return), home and back (return) on the screen. You will the get an enable/disable option that comes up at the top of the screen. tap enable/disable and scroll down to webscan and enable it. Hit the back (return button until you're out of the menu.

Kash

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended
OOPS! I think the product description should have been LaserJet M479dfw (not HP Spectre x360) Sorry.
Howie The TekHead
HP Recommended

@TekHead

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Sorry for the delay in working on this problem. (I hope this narrative formats OK on your forum. My original post got reformatted as one long run-on paragraph. Don't know why???) I followed your uninstall-re-install instructions.*** I Still cannot scan and get the same error msg. *** I can print OK and I can access the M479FDW web server from my laptop. In addition to your uninstall/removal, [1] I deleted my printer driver LJ 4300 [2] Using REGEDIT, I deleted all references to the LJ 4300 (more on this later) [3] Using REGEDIT, I deleted a lot of references to the LJ M479 that got left behind. [4] Executed the downloaded file: ------- CLJM478f-M479f_UWWL_Full_WebPack_48.2.4526.exe I pressed SKIP on the FAX install screen and closed out the registration screen without entering any data. The install routine completed successfully. When I look at [Control Panel] + {Devices & Printers], there is no Scanner device. But there is a FAX device shown, which I told the install routine to skip! Now, regarding my LJ 4300 (monochrome only) printer and some history: I am on a new HP Spectre laptop running Win-10 home OS. I previously had an Officejet Pro 8710 all-in-one printer installed on this laptop and the scanner software worked. When I installed the Win-10 Universal printer driver for the LJ 4300, it CLOBBERED the OJ 8710 scan driver! So I got rid of my OJ 8710, uninstalled it and removed all references to it. So after uninstalling & removing the M479, per your instructions, I uninstalled & removed all references to the LJ 4300 (at least I think I did) before re-installing the LJ M479 printer driver. So I can't help wondering if there is something left behind on the PC (or registry) regarding the LJ 4300 or the OJ 8710 all-in-one that is preventing the successful M479's scanner installation. I created a Word document (& PDF file) of my installation screen shots with my imbedded comments for you to see. But there is no way to upload the PDF file to you. One more last bit of info: My (WiFi only) laptop is connected via WiFi to my router and the LJ M479 is plugged into the same router using a Cat-5 cable. During the installation routine, I selected "Wired Network" because I don't want to print via WiFi, and had WiFi turned off at the printer. Doing an OS recovery is NOT an option. Does this support issue need to be escalated? This printer is a new HP product, just released by HP in July. Thanks for your support. - TekHead -
Howie The TekHead
HP Recommended
I found a way for you to access my installation screen images in my PDF file. On my website HowardsDen.com scroll down towards the bottom. Towards the right side, you'll see a blue text link that says: Download M479fdw Install PDF file It actually opens the PDF file in your browser. That's where you will see my screen images of the install that I did. Notice that I selected to SKIP the Fax Setup Wizard, yet it got installed anyway. See the FAX icon in the screen shot of [Devices and Printers.] I Hope that helps you to help me. - TekHead - PS Why are my posts being reformatted into one long run-on paragraph after I click the [Post] button? I formatted the text correctly during composition. I am using IE v11.295 on Win-10 home.
Howie The TekHead
HP Recommended

I tried the following and it worked, for some reason the webscan is disabled from factory, once enabled scanning will work.

Go to the printer, make sure it is on, tap home, back (return), home and back (return) on the screen. You will the get an enable/disable option that comes up at the top of the screen. tap enable/disable and scroll down to webscan and enable it. Hit the back (return button until you're out of the menu.

Kash

HP Recommended

Kash80's solution worked for me.  I don't know where you found it, Kash, but thanks!  If the home-back-home-back sequence is documented anywhere officially I didn't find it.

HP Recommended

Thank YOU!! this is the first place I have found this solution posted, not even by an 'HP tech'. this has been a nightmare to resolved. Why do they have this ONE MAJOR IMPORTANT FUNCTION disabled in a hidden menu?!?! thank you so much!!!

HP Recommended

This solution worked for me too. I found it on another posting. However I was negligent in posting the solution back here. Sorry.

Only HP (How Pathetic) would have EVER thought to make you do a [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[LEFT-ELBOW]+[RIGHT-KNEE], and then not document it!

Howie The TekHead
HP Recommended

Thank you very much! Saved an expensive call to our outsourced IT.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.