Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Dell
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Dell XPS has been mated to a HP LaserJet M148 for over a year of flawless wireless operation. The printer works just fine but just this week when attempting to scan I get a "cannot find HP LJ M148f.." Only the scanner is affected and it happened on my Dell and on a Sony laptop at the same time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, SFC scan, rebooted, etc. All to no avail. How can the problem emerge on both laptops at the same time?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @VRAJIC,

I'd like to help!

Are you able to make a stand-alone copy?

If yes, then try the below suggestion-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor specifically created to help with printer offline conditions.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.
  3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.
    • If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.
    • If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.
  5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is a Windows service that helps communication between the computer and scanners. If WIA is not activated, scan jobs can fail.

• 1. In Windows, search for and open View local services .

• 2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) .

• 3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

• Try to scan. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

Check the printer connection -Troubleshoot a Wi-Fi Printer Connection

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.