Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Pro MFP 281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought the printer in 2018 and setup the scanning to email (via a dedicated @gmail account), worked great last year. Today, it doesn't work at all.
I have 1) tried to re-verify those credentials, 2) switched to my personal gmail account and then 3) to a fresh email account that my ISP provides. I can access all these email accounts via webmail services, but not use SMTP. The MFP unit reports "wrong user/pwd". I have triple-checked, that is not the problem.
I have no separate firewall, and the router has no rules for outgoing traffic activated.  

Any idea on what more to test?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Nizque

If we are setting up scan to email for Gmail domain then we have to check two settings in our Gmail account:

1.Login to your Gmail account and then click the settings option. You will find the "Two-step verification" option under the security tab. So make sure that is turned OFF.

2. Under the Account settings, there would be an option saying "Allow less secure Apps ", so check it and scroll the bar to turn it ON

There are the settings which conflict in setting up scan to email. Even though if we will correct username and password including correct SMTP port and server then these two settings have to be set first to make it work.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Nizque

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Please try assigning a static IP to your printer and check if the issue persists.

Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen, you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.
Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Select Web Services on the front panel., then Settings.
2. Select 'remove web services' and wait for the services to be eliminated.
3. Once this is complete, you will return to the home page.
4. Select the Web Services icon on the printer and go through the steps to set up Web Services once again.
5. You will be provided a more recent code. Later on, you can utilize this code to add the printer to your eprintcenter.com/ hpconnected.com account utilizing this code.
6. You may or may not be required to create a different email address.
7. Try another scan to email utilizing the app.

Refer to this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03862727 for Setting up Scan to Email through the product's Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have followed all steps; set a manual static IP, rebooted router and printer, removed and reinstalled web services and also set up new email via google. Tried with both that and via my ISP. 

Yes, I did verify the smtp server address and port information to both.

I also verified that the printer in itself has no firewall active. 

Still, same result as before, "wrong username and/or password". 

Sadly, nothing has improved in my scan-end-email-situation. Yet.

I had to set up ePrint again (new ID) and have tested, I can email the printer and it prints just fine, just verified. So I have proper connection in, and on the LAN, it's still the SMTP authentication-part that fails. 

Best regards

Niklas Malmberg

HP Recommended

@Nizque

If we are setting up scan to email for Gmail domain then we have to check two settings in our Gmail account:

1.Login to your Gmail account and then click the settings option. You will find the "Two-step verification" option under the security tab. So make sure that is turned OFF.

2. Under the Account settings, there would be an option saying "Allow less secure Apps ", so check it and scroll the bar to turn it ON

There are the settings which conflict in setting up scan to email. Even though if we will correct username and password including correct SMTP port and server then these two settings have to be set first to make it work.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Oh YES !

"Allow less secure Apps" was not to ON, but now I have changed that, and now it works. Joy!
Thanks a million !
HP Recommended

@Nizque

That's great! Happy to hear that.  

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.  

Have a great day ahead! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.