Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just purchased this all-in-one and the printer works fine.  The scanner will not.  I'm connected via wireless only at this time.  I do not plan to use it for faxes, but do need the scanning capabilities to work.  I installed the software that it came with, and when the scanning would not work, I installed the HP Print and Scan doctor. I have now uninstalled and re-installed the software twice, but it still will not work.  I keep getting an error message that it cannot connect to the printer.  It suggests I check my firewall, which I turned off just to see if it works.  It still doesn't work.  Please help me! I'm about to return the printer.  Anything this difficult to install and use is not worth it.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi Shehanefamily,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you aren't able scan over the wireless network.
I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

Try and make a copy to see if you have the same issue.

I have provided a document for Configuring a Firewall to Allow a Connection with the All-in-One in Windows.

On the router the scanning ports need to be open. You can contact the router company to check and open these ports 9220/9500/427 on the router.

For troubleshooting purposes, connect the printer to the computer by a USB cable to see if you can scan.

If it does then it is a network issue or possible firewall causing the problem.

What were the results running the Print and Scan Doctor?

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Please let me know the results.

Have a great day.
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello Shehanefamily,

do you remember the error message? could you kindly pls send us the screenshot ?

thank you

Regards

Catherine

HP Recommended

I am having same issue. has any one been able to get the scanner for the M127fw wireless to work? I may also return this all in one. firewall is set to allow any hp programs. other scanner worked with my router. what else should I try?

thank you

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums jcourtney456,

I see by your post that you are unable to get the scanner to work.
I can help you with this issue.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

Find and fix common printer problems using HP diagnostic tools for Windows?

Let me know if there are any errors and if you were able to scan.

• Locate the DIM icon () in the lower-right corner (the notification area) of the computer screen.

The DIM icon in the notification area
      The DIM icon in the notification area

If you do not see the DIM icon in the notification area, click Show hidden icons ().
    • If you see the DIM icon, skip to the next solution.
  1. Click the Windows icon ().
  2. In the Search for Programs and Files box, type msconfig, and then press Enter.
  3. Click the Startup tab.
  4. Under the Startup Item column, look for Digital Imaging Monitor, and then make sure that it is enabled.

NOTE:If the Digital Imaging Monitor is not listed, the HP software did not install correctly.

5. If you made changes, click Apply, and then click Close.

Check the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) services:

1. Click the Windows icon (), type services.msc in the Search programs and files box, and then click the services.msc link under Programs. If prompted, click Yes.
  2. In the Services window, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Dependencies tab.
  4. Make sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Shell Hardware Detection are listed, and then close the Properties window.
  5. In the main Services window, make sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Shell Hardware Detection show as Started in the Status column. If they do not, continue to the next step to start the service.
  6. In the Services window, right-click Windows Image Acquisition.

7. If the option to start the service is available, click Start.
  8. If the option to stop the service is available, click Stop. When the service stops, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) again, and then start the service.
  9. Close the Services window.

That information was provided by this URL.

Windows: HP Scan Software Does Not Open or Scan on a Printer Using a USB Connection.

Disregard the title.

Go to Solution three: Check the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) services.

Restart the computer and try scanning again.

You might have to configure the firewall.

Configuring a Firewall to Allow a Connection with the All-in-One in Windows.

To rule out a network problem or firewall,  connect the printer by a USB connection and test the scanning.

Let me know how you make out.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with hp mfp m127fw on a Windows 7 machine,  scanning doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hi @robertbushlow,

I see that you are having issues scanning on Windows 7. I would like to help you.

Are you able to make a copy?

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

Check the Device Manager to see if the Imaging Device for the scanning driver was installed. How do I get into Windows Device Manager? Click on View across the top and select show hidden devices. Open imaging devices,  it should list the printer name there. How is the printer listed?

Can you scan by a USB connection?

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.
If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I can't get it to scan either. It seems the scanning software didn't install. I tried installing twice but still can't get it to install. Can't find a separate install just for the scanning software on the website.

HP Recommended

Hi @DaisyK,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I would really like to help you to get the printer scanning again, but I will need some more information to assist you better.

What operating system are you using?

How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

How is the printer connected?

In the mean time, download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor?

From the previous post, Message 7, it provides steps for accessing the Device Manager to check to see if the imaging device was installed for the scanning drivers. Let me know if it is listed or not.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have this same problem with a Laserjet Pro MFP M127FW connected to a Windows 10 PC. Both a USB cable interface and a wireless connection via my router are available (the install software gives no information on whether the USB and wireless interfaces may be simultaneously connected).

The printer works correctly with common applications. It will also make copies. It will scan using the Scan function in Winbdows 10 "Devices and Printers" but this function is very limited. I would prefer to use the HP application, which used to work under Windows 7. The HP software now (under Windows 10) gives an error message "The HP LJ M127128 Scan was not found." Reinstalling the full package of software doesn't help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.