Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 276dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After installing the latest Windows 7 updates (on 1/9/2019), the printer/scanner wouldn't save to network folder from the scanner.  There were many Microsoft updates that downloaded, but only two were updates to the Windows 7 operating system, one of which is a security update.  I deleted the two Windows 7 updates, and now the scanner works just fine -- I can scan from the printer/scanner and save to a network folder.  So now the problem is that I need the security updates.  Before I tried uninstalling the Windows updates, I had an earlier chat with an HP support technician.  She couldn't find what the problem is and said she can't help because the printer/scanner is out of warranty.  Does that mean every time an HP Printer goes out of warranty and Microsoft does a Windows update, I need to throw the printer in the recyle bin and buy a new one?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Attilah_the_Hun

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

I understand your concern. 

For the next course of action, I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I should add to my earlier post, the offending Microsoft Windows 7 security update is KB4480970.  From tons of postings that came up doing a Google search, apparently the KB4480970 update is causing some considerable widespread problems because it causes file sharing not to work in certain situations where SMBv2 is utilized (whatever the heck that is).  But all I know is I've tested this twice from my HP OfficeJet Pro 276dw multifunction printer/scanner.  When the security update is removed, my scan-to-file initiated at the printer/scanner works just fine, thank you.  But when the security update is re-installed, the darn thing don't work no more.  The error message at the printer scanner includes something like, "check to see that the sharename is correct."  Obvioulsy it's correct because it works just fine as soon as I uninstall the KB4480970 security update.

HP Recommended

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I see that Microsoft released a patch, KB4487345 a few days ago,  indeed, shortly after the KB4480970 Windows 7 security update  was released on 1/09/2019.  The patch is in the Microsoft update catalogue:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4487345

After installing the KB4480970 security update, which had knocked out my scan fileshare, I then I installed the KB4487345 patch for my Windows 7 x64 based systems.  Installation of the patch was no fuss/no muss.  And everything works fine now.  Problem solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.