Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Every time I use the ADF scanner there is a line that extends down the entire page.  I have cleaned the glass and used a flashlight to see if there is any debris on the strip of glass used for scanning.  I can clearly see a fingerprint on the glass exactly where the line appears.  The problem is that the fingerprint is on the BOTTOM of the glass.  How in the world do I get underneath the glass to clean the fingerprint off with a microfiber cloth?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Larry22556,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Scan Quality-ADF" issue. 

Try the steps below -Printers with a document scan feeder

Printer with a document scan feeder

Printer with a document feeder

Clean the plastic and glass strips inside the document feeder with a soft, lint-free cloth sprayed with glass cleaner.

NOTE: 

Some printers ship with a document feeder cleaning cloth. If you have the cloth, load it into the document feeder and start a scan job to clean the scanner mechanism.

1. Turn the printer off, disconnect the power cord, and remove the battery if your printer has one.

2. Depending on your printer model, open any top cover, document feeder tray, and scan document feeder cover.

3. Remove any debris such as bits of paper or paper clips from inside the document feeder.

4. Spray a soft, lint-free cloth with glass cleaner, then wipe the scanner glass and the white strip on the underside of the document feeder until clean, dry, and streak-free.

CAUTION: 

To protect the interior printer parts, do not spray the cleaner directly on or into the printer.

5. Completely close any covers and trays that you opened.

6. Reconnect the power cord, reinstall the battery if necessary, then turn on the printer.

7. Load the original document or photo. Make sure the original document or photo is in good condition and free of tears, creases, folds, staples, or tape.

8. To avoid skewing, adjust the guides on the document feeder to remove any gaps next to the edges of the paper and the guide. The paper stack should slide easily into tray and not bind against the guides.

Try to scan. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Reset the printer

Resetting the printer can force some types of scanners to calibrate, which might fix the problem.

1. Remove any items from the scanner glass and automatic document feeder (ADF), then close the scanner lid.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.

3. Wait at least 60 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back into a wall outlet.

NOTE: 

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the printer.

6. If you have an HP DeskJet 3700 series printer, calibrate the scanner after resetting the printer.

7. Load the original document or photo, then try to scan.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Clean the automatic document feeder (ADF) rollers

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), dust or paper residue on the rollers or separator pad inside the ADF can result in scan quality issues. Open the ADF, then clean the ADF rollers and separator pad.

NOTE: 

The location of the ADF rollers might be different depending on your printer, but the following steps still apply.

1. Gather the following materials:

• A clean, lint-free cloth, or any cloth that does not come apart or leave fibers

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might damage the printer)

2. Remove the original document from the ADF.

3. Turn off the printer.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Open the ADF cover.

6. Find the paper pick rollers and the separator pad inside the ADF.

Figure : Example of the paper pick rollers and separator pad in a OfficeJet printer

7. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with filtered or distilled water, then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.

8. Use the damp cloth to wipe any residue off the paper pick rollers and the separator pad.

9. Leave the ADF cover open for two minutes to allow the paper pick rollers and separator pad to dry.

10. Close the ADF cover.

11. Reload the original document print side up in the document feeder tray. Gently slide the document into the printer as far as it can go.

12. Slide in the paper width guides until they are snug against the paper.

Do not push the paper width guides in so far that they bend the paper.

13. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

14. Turn on the printer, then try to scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

This helped not one bit.  As I stated in my original post, the smudge is on the INSIDE of the glass.  Cleaning the top of the glass will not help - I already did that.

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.