Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M181fw
iOS

Datasheet for HP Laserjet MFP M181fw show that scan to mail is supported: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05547762

This article describe that scan to email should be posible to enable from embedded web server (system, administration): 

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c03953891

But there is no option availalbe to enable scan to email from embedded web server. And there is no scan tab in the  web gui.

The printer is using lates firmware, datecode: 20171210

How can I enable scan to email on HP LaserJet MFP M181fw? 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@3c509

Thanks for posting on the HP Support Forums. MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you're trying to setup scan to email on your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M181fw printer. I read that the scan to email option is absent in the EWS page. Not to worry, I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

During my research, I came across this HP document which helps to scan in Mac. Please refer to "How do I scan to email?".

It states the following information:

The firmware which is available on the printer is the latest one as I checked it.

I did some research on this case and found that  depending on your printer model and email application, you can automatically attach a scan to an email with options on the printer control panel or with the Image Capture app on the Mac.

1. Confirm the following requirements for the scan to email feature. If you do not meet these requirements, you can manually attach the file to an email message by saving the scan to a folder on the computer.

• In most cases, scan to email works only when a local email client such as Apple Mail is installed and setup on the computer.

• Web-based email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail) must be configured through your local email client to scan to them. Check your local email support site for additional information.

2. Start the scan, depending on your printer type.

• Printers with touchscreen or LCD menu control panels: From the Scan menu on the printer, select your computer name, and then select Email as PDF or Email as JPEG A new email message automatically opens on the computer.

Additionally, some Web-enabled HP printers have a Scan to Email app in the Apps menu that sends emails directly from the printer using your printer's ePrint email address.

• Printers with buttons only or printers without scan to email menu options: Continue to the next step to start the scan from the computer. (But since you're using iOS these steps may not work as these steps apply to Mac OS on Mac computers).

3. Open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

Figure : Apple Image Capture

Apple Image Capture
  4. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list, and then click Show Details at the bottom of the screen, if necessary.

After the preview of the scan displays, change the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder, depending on where you loaded the original on the printer.

• Scan to: Select Mail.

• Name: Type a name for the scan file so that the email recipient knows what the attachment is.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan. When you select the PDF or TIFF format, the Combine into single document feature is available to save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file.

5. Click Scan.

A new email message automatically opens with the scan attached.

Alternately, you can use the free HP Smart App on your iOS device and then perform scan to email. The following steps will help to achieve that: (Click here to know more about the HP Smart app)

1. Place the item you want to scan on the scanner glass or in the automatic document feeder (ADF) tray.

2. Tap Scan, Scan to Email, or Scan to Cloud.

Examples of HP Smart app Scan tiles

NOTE: On iOS devices, make sure Scanner is the current scan type selected on the Scan screen.

The Scanner option selected for scan type

3. Tap the Settings icon  to select the input source, color or black and white, and resolution.

4. Tap Scan.

5. For multi-page scans, tap Add Pages , and then repeat these steps with another item.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for further assistance.

Cheers! 🙂

If you would like to thank us for the efforts to help you, feel free to mark this post as "Accept as solution". That’ll help everyone find the solution and help the community to grow.

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi, 

Thanks for responding to my post and for detailed information about how to use a mac to scan documents.

I already know that I can use a windows maching or a apple device to use the scanner, but I dont have a windows or mac computer available where the printer are located.

Before I purcased this printer, then I verified the techincal specification http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05547762 and this article http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05547762

Both of the official HP documents above explain that Scan to email is feature that should be avaialble on M181 printers and  on  MFP printers. It is not a requirement in the documentation that you need to use a ios device, mac or windows computer to email a scanned document.

Other people are also confirming that this is a problem: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Connected-Mobile-Printing-and-Cloud-Printing/scan-to-email-on-Color...

Can you verify if HP are planning a firmware upgrade that will enable enable scan to email from the controll panel on the printer?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@3c509

Thanks for replying.

I understand that the issue remains unresolved.

I have sent you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Hope that helps. Good luck! 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi , can anyone advise if they have found out how to scan to email from M181fw?

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi,

Can you please share the solution with me as i've just purchased the same printer (m181fw) and having the same issue?

HP Recommended

Short answer is the feature I wanted is not supported.

HP do very well at hiding this and simpy believe control from a PC to email is a printer feature and appropriate solution. Which it is not. Can't imagine it's anything more than a software patch so they should listen to their customers or we'll all be buying Canon

HP Recommended

I created a support case with HP Support and response from support was that I had to use the web gui to scan and send to mail.

I then asked support to send me a screenshot of web gui from a M181fw printer.

The respons then was that support could not find any option to scan to email from the printer.

I asked support to escalate internaly to update documentation and datasheet to avoid that people is buying wrong product because based on the datasheet then we think that we have purchased a product that can scan direct to email from the scanner/printer.

It is posible to use HP windows software or HP software on a mobile device to scan a document, and then use a local mail client on your windows or mobile device to mail a scanned document. But this is not the same as the datasheet listed feature for scan from printer to mail.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, really disappointed with HP....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.