Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just got a new MFP M281fdw and am trying to scan a multiple page document using the document feeder using the front panel and Scan to Computer option.  The document feeder works when I use the copy function, but isn't working with the scan function.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@sriggi95

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

To learn how to use HP Forums, you may use the link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/Learn-how-to-use-the-Forum/t...

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help 😊

Are you getting any error messages when trying to scan from the Document Feeder?

Are you able to scan to your computer using the flatbed glass scanner?

I suggest you perform a printer reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Then update the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m280-m281-multifunction-print...

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

I reset the printer by unplugging as instructed.  I also made sure it has the current firmware.  No change in the issue.

The issue is that I can scan a single document (as jpg) from the flat bed using Scan to Computer.  However, if I have more than one page loaded in the document feeder, the front panel says "Document loaded" but it won't feed those pages for scanning. I can do this easily on my HP Deskjet 5740, but for some reason, this newer LaserJet won't do it.  Please note that I can scan multiple pages if I feed them, come back to the laptop, use the Scan a Document option in the HP Printer Assistant -- however, this is painful if I have a series of pages that I just want to scan from the printer without going back and forth.

I know I have a workaround, but there has got to be a way to scan multiple pages from the Automatic Document Feeder while I'm at the printer.  Just seems that HP would not take away functionality going from a Deskjet to a LaserJet...  Appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

@sriggi95,

I am responding on behalf of @KrazyToad as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you clean the paper rollers follow the steps in the below article and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02011179

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Temporarily disable firewall software (Windows)

Firewall software helps block threats from outside your network, but some settings or configurations can block communication with network printers. Use the Print and Scan Doctor to identify and temporarily disable firewall software in Windows.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the prompts to install and open the tool.

2. On the welcome screen, click Network, and then select Troubleshooting Firewalls.

JessikaV_2-1674233613701.png

3. Click the name of any firewall software that has an Enabled status, and then click Disable.

JessikaV_3-1674233642077.png

4. Go to 123.hp.com to download and install the latest print driver.

• If the installation completes, consult the firewall software support to change settings such as security level, trusted zones, and open ports to allow communication with HP software and websites. After changing the settings, re-enable the firewall in the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

• If the installation fails, the firewall software is not causing the issue. Re-enable the firewall in the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.