Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
M479fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The May 2020 spec sheet says "Scanner type: Flatbed, ADF;  ... Optical scan resolution: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi". My M475 said the same thing but while the flatbed scanner offered up to 1200 DPI, the ADF only offered up to 300 DPI. Reportedly the M477 did the same. So is the M470fdw ADF scan resolution up to 300, 600 or 1200 DPI. Customer service in different emails said the  ADF scan resolution was up to 600 DPI in one email and up to 1200 DPI in the other. Based on other past community responses it appears that the ADF scan resolution may still only up to 300 DPI. I'd like to buy an M470fdw but would really like to know what I'm buying before I buy it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think the wording can be very misleading if you don't read it carefully.  The words "up to" are used.

Hence, the ADF is "up to" 300 dpi. The flatbed is "up to" 1200 dpi. The printer as a whole is "up to" 1200 dpi.

A truck can fit an 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood. However, I am not fitting that through the passenger doors and into passenger area. I have to use the back bed of the truck. I can only fit smaller pieces of wood in the passenger area of the truck. (That is the best example I could come up with - hopefully it helps.)

Same deal here. The ADF will only do "up to" 300 dpi. If you want higher scan dpi resolutions, you need to use the flatbed that can then scan "up to" 1200 dpi.

For what it is worth, I have the M479FDW, for the ADF it will only allow me to select options up to 300 dpi.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I think the wording can be very misleading if you don't read it carefully.  The words "up to" are used.

Hence, the ADF is "up to" 300 dpi. The flatbed is "up to" 1200 dpi. The printer as a whole is "up to" 1200 dpi.

A truck can fit an 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood. However, I am not fitting that through the passenger doors and into passenger area. I have to use the back bed of the truck. I can only fit smaller pieces of wood in the passenger area of the truck. (That is the best example I could come up with - hopefully it helps.)

Same deal here. The ADF will only do "up to" 300 dpi. If you want higher scan dpi resolutions, you need to use the flatbed that can then scan "up to" 1200 dpi.

For what it is worth, I have the M479FDW, for the ADF it will only allow me to select options up to 300 dpi.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your response. I kind of thought the ADF scanner was "up to 300 DPI" but wasn't getting any sensible response from HP. They were very carefully avoiding any reference to the ADF in their responses. I bought my M475 in 2013 and had hoped that since then they might have been able to improve the ADF scan resolution to "up to 600 DPI".

The M479's duplex scanning however seems like a good improvement. I've had a lot of trouble with my M475's reversing scanner jamming on the final reverse with the paper types & weights used by others in some printed reports that I receive. The scanner never seems to jam when used in single-sided mode.

HP Recommended

The double sided scanning is slick and fast on the M479FDW and works well.

If I had one complaint I can't get the Scan to Computer to work when initiated from the printer using the ADF. From the flatbed works fine. ADF to USB works too. Using HP Scan on my computer with my documents in the ADF already, works when initialed from my computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.