Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi. I reecently installed the latest firmware update (20180205) to my Laserjet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw, after which I cannot scan to the network folder. I get a error message on the MFP stating "Cannot write to [address of network scan folder]. Destination folder is read-only, has the wrong permissions, or is no longer available". When I open up the printer web page and go to the scan tab and click on the test button by the scan folder previously created, I get "The test has been completed successfully". What should I do to get the scanner to scan to the network folder.

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

@mjbwatson

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your printer gives an error message 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Have you tried giving the permission to that network folder?

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Hard Reset: 

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Give permission to the network folder: 

1. Create a folder and right click it (CTRL+ Left click) and select Get Info, check the box next to Share folder.
  2. Under the permissions, section ensure your user account has read and write permissions.
  3. From System Preferences, select Sharing, ensure that File sharing is enabled and click the Edit / Options button.
  4. Ensure the SMB option is checked and the user is listed and selected, add the user if required.
  5. Then, try to setup scan to a network folder.

Then try performing a scan to a network folder.

For more information, you could refer to this article: http://hp.care/2G4ju3N

Let me know how this goes,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Apologies for jumping in, howeer this is a known issue with Mac OS X Sierra.

As a workaround you may reduce the scan resolution to 75 dpi and the scan should then complete, from the printer page update the profile and set the scan resolution, once saving the changes restart the printer and try scanning again.

To scan with higher resolutions you may use other scan options such as Scan to Email or scan from your Mac using the HP Easy Scan software as of now.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

How ridiculous! You are quite right. If I change the scan resolution to 75 dpi, it goes through and can write to my network scan folder, but not any any highr resolution. It's odd that it seems to be a feature of the lates firmware and High Sierra, as my scan was working perfectly with High Sierra before I updated the firmware. This seems to be an HP induced issue. They need to sort it out. 

HP Recommended

This solution doesn't work. I created a new folder as instructed, but the same error appears. This is clearly a bug introduced by the latest firmware update, as my scanner was working perfectly with High Sierra before the update.

HP Recommended

I believe I've found why this is happening by looking at packet captures between my scanner and my Mac (as well as another SMB2 file server) with tcpdump & wireshark.

In one packet trace I looked at, the scanner sends an SMB2 write request for 142115 bytes inside a NetBIOS session message of length 11155 bytes.   According to an SMB expert I consulted, this is clearly malformed (the whole write request needs to fit inside a single NetBIOS message).

Another that failed had a write length of 135833 in a session message of 4873.

A session that worked had a write of 35310 bytes inside a session message of 35422 bytes, which implies an SMB write overhead of 112 bytes.

Add 112 to 135833 and you get 135945; in hexadecimal (base 16) that's 0x21309.
4873 in hex is 0x1309 - same last 4 digits.

Add 112 to 142115 and you get 0x22B93
11155 is 0x2B93.

This is clearly not a coincidence.  Looks like what's going on is that the scanner is only keeping the low 16 bits of the message length, losing the high byte of the 24-bit NetBIOS session length; I suspect that write requests under about 65536-112  = 65424 bytes  will work while anything bigger than that will be malformed.

Reducing resolution to 75dpi likely means that the resulting pdf will be under about 64k bytes long and won't create a malformed request.

Reconfiguring the other SMB server to advertise a 32K maximum write request size allowed scans to work as the scanner correctly breaks up the file into multiple write request under the size.

The Mac advertises a max write size of 4 megabytes; I haven't yet found a way to lower that number.

HP Recommended

I use MFP M277dw and has encountered similar issue since upgrading OS from Sierra to High Sierra in Nov 2017.  There've been several threads discussing the same issue in HP Forum, whilst workable yet unsatisfactory solution has come out, that was outlined by others above.

Your report is too difficult to understand for the general users incl. myself.  However, it did make me think about HP and get an interesting finding:-

Did HP really do something to solve the problem?  

Look at the screenshot.  I downloaded and upziped EVERY driver update HP Easy Start.zip since 14 Sep 2017 (see the Date Added of the greylined files).  I found, after upzipping, the latest 5 updates [15 Dec 2017, 5 Jan, 30 Jan, 8 Feb and 31 Mar (today)] are identical in byte size, version, date created and modified (please read the info. windows).  The only difference is the dates of the zipped files uploaded on HP site.

Of course, all these updates (incl. today's) don't work.  "Scan to Network Folder" is still 75dpi max!

Is HP cheating us?  HP support, please say something!

Marco

Hong Kong

Screenshot 2018-03-31 18.46.55.png

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I am encountering this problem after my printer performed an update. I can only scan to a network folder if the scan resolution is at the lowest setting, in which case a scanned document is unreadable.

Has HP acknowledged this problem and do you know if they are working on a solution?

Thanks,  

HP Recommended

YES!  I can confirm after three hours chasing this problem and following all of HP's instructions to the letter that the 75 dpi solution does consistently work.  However, this is not an acceptable solution, HP.

HP Recommended

You don't really know how to fix this one, do you HP?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.