Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5000 all in one

Mac 10.15 upgrade ... printer works but scanner does not...says HP software can not be found - needs OCR application. I am not a wizard at this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@nlptlt1953, we received your message saying the issue persists.

HP Easy Scan is not yet compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. HP is working with Apple for a solution. For more info, refer to this document.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any pending software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Scan with Apple Image Capture

Apple Image Capture comes with macOS and OS X and provides a quick and simple way to scan.

Apple Image Capture

1. Place the document or photo print side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid.

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), use it to scan multiple page documents at one time.

CAUTION: 

Do not load photos in the ADF.

2. Open Finder , and then click Go in the top menu bar.

3. Click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

4. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.

NOTE: 

If a Software for this device is not installed message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

5. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.

A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder.

• Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.

• Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.

• Size: Use a standard paper size or select the Use Custom Size option.

• Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message.

• Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan.

NOTE: To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats.
    • Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.

6. Click Scan.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@nlptlt1953, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand the inconvenience caused. I would recommend you to go through a similar post that speaks about the scanning issues after Mac OS update.

Also, try using the HP Smart App to scan. Refer to the document HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Mac) for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@nlptlt1953, we received your message saying the issue persists.

HP Easy Scan is not yet compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. HP is working with Apple for a solution. For more info, refer to this document.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any pending software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

Scan with Apple Image Capture

Apple Image Capture comes with macOS and OS X and provides a quick and simple way to scan.

Apple Image Capture

1. Place the document or photo print side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid.

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), use it to scan multiple page documents at one time.

CAUTION: 

Do not load photos in the ADF.

2. Open Finder , and then click Go in the top menu bar.

3. Click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

4. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.

NOTE: 

If a Software for this device is not installed message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

5. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.

A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder.

• Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.

• Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.

• Size: Use a standard paper size or select the Use Custom Size option.

• Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message.

• Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan.

NOTE: To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats.
    • Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.

6. Click Scan.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your follow up. I have already done what you have posted and figured out how to use the scanner manually. I look forward to when there is an upgrade that allows me to scan as I did before.

HP Recommended

@nlptlt1953

Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.