Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 4500 FN 1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I bought a new HP ScanJet 4500 FN 1 network scanner a few years ago and I never quite got network scanning to work. I've settled for USB connection in the meantime but I've just bought a new laptop and it doesn't have as many USB ports so now I'd like to get network scanning working.

I've downloaded and installed the latest firmware (v7.128) and drivers (v41.1.2220) and attempted to set up the scanner, but my laptop is failing to find the scanner on the network. The laptop is connected via a Ubiquiti wifi access point to a Ubiquiti 8 port switch, and the scanner is connected via a cat6 cable to the same switch.

The scanner responds to ping requests on the command prompt via IP address and hostname, and I can browse the scanner's onboard admin website using Google Chrome on the laptop, but the HP setup application is unable to discover the scanner or connect when I provide the IP address / hostname.

Does anyone know the issue might be, or what I could try to resolve it? (also, is there any documentation on what ports need to be open on my laptop's Windows firewall to allow the HP setup utility to connect to the scanner?)

Thanks,

Mike

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

So I did some network sniffing using WireShark, and it looks like when I click "Search" here:

clipboard_image_0.png

it sends a HTTP request to my scanner. Unfortunately, the scanner doesn't like the request and returns a HTTP 500. See #47 and #52 in the WireShark capture screenshot below. The 192.168.1.63 address is my laptop and the 192.168.1.65 address is my scanner.

clipboard_image_2.png

For reference, the full HTTP request / response pair is:

clipboard_image_3.png

Is this a problem with my particular scanner or a bug in the firmware?

Cheers,

M

HP Recommended

POST /StableWSDiscoveryEndpoint/schemas-xmlsoap-org_ws_2005_04_discovery HTTP/1.1
Cache-Control: no-cache
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: application/soap+xml
User-Agent: WSDAPI
Content-Length: 520
Host: hpf70169

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlns:soap="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" xmlns:wsa="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing" xmlns:wsd="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2005/04/discovery"><soap:Header><wsa:To>urn:schemas-xmlsoap-org:ws:200...>

HP Recommended

Internal Server Error

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Content-Length: 62

X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff

X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN

Cache-Control: no-store

Connection: keep-alive

Error 500: Internal Server Error

read data...(): happen error!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.