Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I've been trying to scan to a network folder on my Mac.  I finally made a path name that wasn't rejected, but now it says the printer isn't connecting to the network.  Which doesn't make sense, because I can print from the Mac to the printer with no problem, and they're only connected over wifi.  Any thoughts?  My network path looks like this, where the stars are the name of my computer.

\\***\Macintosh_HD\Users\a5\Documents\HP_Printer_Scans

When I test it from the setup page (in my web browser) it says:

"Network error. Check the printer's network connection and try again."

When I test it from the printer, where, I'm happy to say, it actually sees the folder, in that I can choose it from the Select Network Folder page, it says:  "Unable to connect to the network.  Check the network, and then try again."

So I tried printing from the computer and that worked fine.  Why does the printer think it  can't connect to the network?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@rh9911, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Make sure the Mac is updated to 10.15.4. You may refer to this document for steps to update the Mac - How to update the software on your Mac

This issue could be due to the date and time mismatch between the printer and the computer. On the newer devices, the time zone is predetermined as GMT and you have to set the time on the printer as GMT but matching your time in your time zone. 

Also, when you set up a Network path you only need to put the shared folder and not the entire path. macOS sets up shared folders at the root. For example, my scan shared folder is located in /Users/Shared/Scans. But the network path is \\computername.domain\Scans 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello -  I changed the time on the printer from 6:54 PM to 2:54 PM, to match my local time.  

I dropped the longer file path name to just \\computername\shared folder.  The printer can still see that.  But I'm still getting an error:  "Unable to connect to  network.  Check the network, and then try again. "   I notice in your example you write \\computername.domain\scan -- am I supposed to have a .domain?

Also made sure my os software is current.

I noticed that under General  -  Network Settings, the Wireless is setup and connected, the Wired says enabled but isn't connected (I'm using a wifi connection).  Is it possible it's trying to connect over the Wired?  

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@rh9911

Follow the steps below-

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Assign manual IP to the printer-

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers.

Static IP needs to be set up outside DHCP range- Since the default DHCP address range is between 100 and 149, you'll want to avoid all of the addresses between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.149 when you're assigning static IP addresses. That leaves the ranges from 2-99 and from 150-254 wide open, which is usually plenty for most home networks.

Try scanning.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.