Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard,

I can't even find microsoft paint anywhere?? I did find Windows Fax and Scan however, so I tried scanning a document and it pulls it thru the doc feeder but gets hung up at that point. When I tried to view the scan, it gives me a message that says "could not complete scan."

HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

MSpaint can be found under all programs/accessories/Paint. Check the private message for reset steps, and let me know if this helps resolve the issue?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

rdhnick Wrote:

Hi again pcwizard;

I followed instructions. After I let go the window on the printer kept cycling thru all languages on earth? I then re-loaded the HP installation software. It got to the 4th step titled "configure product" and has been in that loop for the past hour now. Something is wrong. While this is going on, from nowhere the printer decided to print me a scan sheet to align cartridges, so I tried to do that. The printer then printed me a page titled "HP Officejet 4500 Menu Map"? What do I do with that? Then, my monitor displayed a messgae that says "Fatal Error During Installation."

I'm back to square 1, I can copy a document but cannot scan anything. Is there any hope for this thing?

Hi rdhnick,

At this point I need for you to install this printer on a different computer to see if you have the same issues?

Can you try scanning from Ms Paint, and let me know what happens?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I found MSPaint and did create some artwork with it and printed it with no problem. As far as scanning with MSPaint, I see nothing anywhere for choices that allow me to scan any MSPaint document? As I said I created artwork and printed to the 4500 with no problem.

HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

Install this printer on a different computer, and let me know if you are successful with scanning from the HP software?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I will if I can. I have no easy access to another PC right now, but will ask around and see if anyone will even allow me to temporarily bastardize their setup just to prove a point. I'll be back if successful. May take a month. May also just look at getting a printer from some company that can do what I want. Sure would like to stay with HP however. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

I can understand your frustrations with this issue. The purpose of installing it on a different computer would be to assist with isolating the issue to a hardware, driver or operating system issue. We have tried all the common troubleshooting methods to this point. I am here with you until we can figure out what is happening.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

pc wizard;

Just a thought. DO you see any benefit if I had the installation CD that should have come with the printer when I bought it? There was no CD in my box. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi rdhnick,

No, the software on the website would be the same or more current than what was on the installation CD.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

i have the same problem. Simply the scanning options are not recognized by the system, only printing. The scanner doesn't exists. Nothing to do

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.