Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hoping for a real solution ... not if you close your left eye and hope on your right foot while dancing around....

Yes, selecting entire scan bed "sort of" works.    That is:

-if you aren't using the web scanner (this feature is available). IT SHOULD BE!

-if you select the right device:  "HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 TWAIN" ..seems be give the best luck... vs WIA HPOfficeJetPro 7740 or I also have one listed as WIA HPOfficeJet 7740 (NET).

-Don't use custom size. HEY, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO!!!!!  LAME

-Use the right application.

-Choose the right data transfer mode.

-Shouldn't matter if you use the native interface or not but... looks like it might

-select flatbed..

-... on and on...

Most of the time I get some sort of color streaking in the output making it unusable.  These streaks are coming from the driver software.    

I also was not able to get it to work even remotely close to right using auto-detect.   

And while I CAN get a 17x14 page, the scan STARTS at the far far left ...meaning the area used to scan from the feeder tray and is not part of the scan bed.   So I get a scan of the feeder area and the size of this part truncated from the end of the document.

BOTTOMLINE: this shouldn't be difficult and it should just work in scan whole bed (which it really isn't for me).  Also enable the feature for the web scanner please!  That seems to be the least buggy vs the full feature driver.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

FYI,   the color streaks and mis-alignment of the scan bed was corrected by powering cycling the printer to reset it.

So I'm able to scan 11x17".   Just wish I could use the web scan feature to do this, the full scan size available would be recognized if I select custom, and if it wasn't so sensitive to what specific settings are used.

In short, I'm less frustrated now after the power cycle.  Of course it shouldn't have gotten to this state anyway.

For those with issues.   i installed the latest driver.   I'm also using Acrobat Pro XI.   Going to "FIle | Create | PDF from Scannner | Custom ..."     The last successful scan I used the "HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 TWAIN" with  Options... being use Native Mode, Show Scanner's native interface"

Sides: Front Sides

New PDF Document

Multiple Files unchecked

Optimize Scanned PDF checked

Default quality (Med-High)

Make Searchable unchecked

Make PDF/A unchecked

Add Metadata unchecked

Next Screen "Whole Scan Bed - Color"

Item type: document

Page Sides: 1-sided

Page Size: Entire Scan Area

Source: Flatbed

Image Color Mode: Color

I'm sure other combinations work also but this is what i used.

HP Recommended

Seeing that switching between web scan and using the HP Full Feature Driver Whole Scan Bed (or perhaps its just switching between whole scan bed and 8x11)  causes the printer to enter the messed up state I described above.   To correct, I have to power on and off usually more than once.     

Then the printer eventually got stuck in a mode where the scanner would not move; thus would only produce all white scans.   Turning  off and back on did not resolve.   Resetting the printer "scan" settings from the front panel did not help.   Today the printer at some point self-rebooted with this message on the front panel [on button symbol] "B86100D0".    It now scans again.

I tried to contact HP support which was a 40 minute waste of time.      Support to HP is trying to force you to use the industry's worse chat bot which is pretty much useless and won't let you speak to human unless you let HP waste more of your time by  sending you to the online support forums.   Whatever you do DO NOT LOSE your support case ID because they have no way to find it for you and you'll have to go through this huge time waster again (actually in a "Please enter your case ID" loop on the phone for the entire time while typing this).   Can you tell I'm upset?      Another great support example from tonight: HP automated system "'I'm sorry you seem to be having trouble"  solution.... "Good bye" <hang up>  This underscores the whole HP Support foundation...to hang up on customers trying to get help.

I should thank the HP.  I actually used your support processes to win a bid this week because my competitor had a support system like yours and my client didn't want to use forums or to work with a company that wastes their time.  Neither do I.

For me this experience has put the nail in the coffin for future business with us.   I proceed with this product only because I don't know of an alternative.    Is that what you really want?   Customers who ONLY use your products if they can find no other choice?

HP Recommended

@ScottAlbrecht, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.