Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all.

Getting very frustrated with this. Scan to computer is enabled in the software. I am running MAC OSX 10.8.3. 

When I click on Scan to computer I then follow the prompts to save to pdf, I choose the name of my computer Macbook pro etc and hit scan. It then says "preparing to scan" for 30 secs and then I get a "scan unsuccessful" msg on the screen of the Officejet and says its unsusscful due to one of three things.

Connection to computer is lost

scan application on computer is currently in use

OCR application on computer is not installed on computer

see computer for details

Here is the kicker. when I go to the HP software, it says scanner is enabled etc. and the name of my computer is correct.  I can then do a test scan and it scans the document just fine everytime. as a matter of fact, this is how I scan, it just adds about 10 steps to each scan wich is a PIA

when I first set the printer up last year,  I could scan to computer and did all the time, now I can't very frustrating. I use the scanner daily for my job.

HP is connected wirelessly. I can print from any program on my computer etc.

I am completely confused as everything else seems to work fine.

Help!

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

jonnyz1245,

I would recommend repairing the disk permissions to see if that will help resolve your issue.

To do so, perform the following steps:

1. On the menu bar, click GO , and then click Utilities .
2. From the sub menu on the right, double-click Disk Utility .
3. Click to select your drive or active partition from the list on the left.
4. Click the First Aid tab, if it is not already selected.
5. Click Repair Disk Permissions .
6. Restart your computer.

Try that and report back to me if that helped to resolve your issue or not.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Best of luck,
Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I am having this same problem (I also have Mac OS X 10.8.3), but the printer is not even identifying my computer on the network.  

Under "Scan to Computer" I have checked "Enable Scan to Computer" but my computer still is not showing up.  I hardwired via a USB my computer to the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and that did not work either. 

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I would recommend repairing the disk permission as that has resolved similar issues like this in the past.

1. On the menu bar, click GO, and then click Utilities.
2. From the sub menu on the right, double-click Disk Utility .
3. Click to select your drive or active partition from the list on the left.
4. Click the First Aid tab, if it is not already selected.
5. Click Repair Disk Permissions.
6. Restart your computer.
7. Try to scan again.

If I have been helpful or if you’d like to say thanks you can click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.  I really appreciate it!

Best of luck,
Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I tried that, but it did not work.

HP Recommended

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software yet?

Signature
HP Recommended

Yes, I tried that, but it did not work either.

HP Recommended

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software on my computer twice, but it still is not working.  

I also tried connecting a USB from the printer to my computer, but that did not work either.  The wierd thing is, I can scan wirelessly via "HP Scan" on my application list, but I can start the scan from the printer options panel.  However, other people who also have a mac and are running the same software on their computer can.

Any more advice?

HP Recommended

Wait, which one is it that you can and can't do? I think you missed a 't in there somewhere, lol.

If it is the software scan that you are unable to do, I'm digging a little further to see if I can find a resolution for you. 

If you did mean that you are able to scan from the front of the printer, what application opens up on your Mac when the file is finished scanning?

Signature
HP Recommended

I get a communication error.    I uave uninstalled/installed the hp software.   Restarted the computer and used disk first aid to repair permissions.    I have a mac os10.8 and cannot scan to the computer

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.