Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
1. Go into “System Preferences” and then select either  “Print & Scan” or "Print & Fax".
2. Right click (or control + click) on the rectangle listing your printers and then select “Reset Printing System”. 

After you have reset the printing system, let's make sure you have the most recent HP driver package installed. You can download the full feature software and drivers from the following link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-107214-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

After you download and install the drivers, reboot your computer.

Once the computer has rebooted, go into "Print & Scan" under "System Preferences", select your printer and press the minus (-) button.
Now, press the plus (+) button and you should see your printer.
Select it and then below you will see three fields.
Drop down the selections for “Use:” and choose the name of your printer instead of AirPrint.
This will install the HP driver.

This should help, but let me know if it doesn't and I will see if there is anything else that we can try.

Best of luck,
Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Hi there -

I have installed my 8600plus on my Mac OSx10.8.5. I tried what you mentioned above, but I am still not able to scan to computer. When I go under HP Utility, Scan Settings, Scan to Copmputer and click "enable scan to computer" I get an error message: "Unable to communicate with device, Check cables and connection settings, If the problem persists, try restarting your computer and the HP Device." I have done both and still no luck. PLEASE HELP!

HP Recommended

Hi MrsCollins,

I know you have done all Kyle has suggested and he certainly has done everything I would have suggested, but maybe we can check the firewall.

Follow these steps to check the firewall.

Create a firewall exception

1. Click the Apple icon (  ), and then click   System Preferences  .
  2. In the  Personal  section, click  Security. The Security window opens.
  3. Click the Firewall  tab, and then click the  Lock  icon in the lower left corner of the window.
  4. Type your name and password, and then click OK.
  5. Click  Start, if it is not already selected.
  6. In the Security dialog box, click   Advanced.
  7. Make sure that the  Block all incoming connections  box is   unchecked.
  8. Make sure that the Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connection  box is checked.
  9. Click the Plus icon (  ), click  HP or Hewlett-Packard, click each HP program, and then click Add.
  10. Click  OK.
  11. In the main Security window, click the  Lock  icon, and then close the window.
Try enabling the scan to computer again and if you still can not then see if turning the firewall off makes a difference.

Follow these steps to turn off the firewall.
  1. Click the Apple icon (  ), and then click System Preferences  .
  2. In the Personal section, click Security. The Security window opens.
  3. Click the Firewall  tab, and then click the Lock icon in the lower left corner of the window.
  4. Type your name and password, and then click OK  .
  5. Click Stop, if it is not already selected.
  6. In the main Security window, click the Lock  icon, and then close the window.
If this does not resolve the issue, then go ahead and turn your firewall back on.
Let me know, I have worked with the Mac OS X for many years and am confident we can get this working.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

my computer is not on the list on the front of the printer to scan. It was always there before, now it is gone and I have assignments due. 

HP Recommended

Hi dlgarlock,

If you have not recently made any changes to the Mac, and your computer is no longer listed on the front panel of the printer when you try to scan to computer, I would suggest checking for Apple updates, restarting the computer after the updates, (if there are no updates restart anyway), and power cycle the printer. To power cycle the printer, leave it on and unplug the power cable for 1 minute then plug it back in. Once the printer and computer are both on again try to scan from the front panel. The alternate option is to scan from the computer.

Scan from computer using HP Scan

• Open Applications > HP or Hewlett Packard folder > HP Scan.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.

If this does not resolve the issue follow the instructions in the following hyper link to resolve a Communication Error between the Scanner and Your Computer in Mac OS X v10.4, v10.5, or v10.6.

If you require or would like further assistance please let me know.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have a MacBook Pro with OS X Mavericks and I have a Officejet Pro 8600. All my software are up to date. With my Windows Computer I have no problems scanning, but with the MacBook I am able to scan all pictures, but do not get the option to do OCR scanning. In short, how do I do OCR scanning? 

HP Recommended

Hi Pauldupl

Using the downloaded Maverick drivers from HP.COM you would be using the HP Scan Software.

On the save window after scanning select rtf or txt. You can use word to open it or another ocr software.

Hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you. It's working!

HP Recommended

So, I'm not finding a thread on this topic that has to do with PCs, but I'm needing some help as well so hopefully there's a PC user out there that can help a girl out because I have a boat load of scanning that needs to be dealt with.

I can scan to my computer if I use the HP Printer Assistant Software that came with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 I purchased.  When I try to scan using the printer's panel however, everything goes smoothly until I get to the part where I am to hit the scan button and hear angels since as the printer scans the wonderful papers I've put in my document feeder.  I press it and...clicks and then stays on the same screen.  Nothing.

I had an 8500 before this one and had no issues.  I've had the printer for about a week at this point so all I've done is brought it home, installed the software and setup the wireless network.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

HP Recommended
That was supposed to be "sing" not "since" by the way....
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.