Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officetet Pro 8630

I am trying to send a 1-page black & white fax via the ADF on an HP 8630.  The transmission fails every time with error 340.  I have checked the error code on this page, and it advises to try turning off the machine for 10 seconds, which I have done to no avail.  It also says that it may be a problem with the receiving fax machine.  But I have tried sending the same fax to the same recipient from a different fax machine, and it goes through fine.  Also, the receiving fax is an e-fax service hosted by k7.net, so I doubt they are having problems with their "machine". 

But here's where it gets even stranger.  As a test, I tried to send a fax to the same receiving number using my computer and the fax driver for the 8630, and the fax went through fine.  Then I tried sending the initial fax using the glass on the 8630 instead of the ADF, and that also went through fine.  So apparently the 8630 cannot connect to that receiving fax when sending from the ADF, but it can when sending from the glass or the fax driver.  Which makes no sense.  Then I tried sending a test fax using the ADF to a different receiving number, and it worked fine. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @gurs,

Welcome to the HP Community.

I understand you are getting "error 340" when trying to fax from the ADF of your HP Officejet Pro 8630. I will do my best to help.

Based on what you have explained in your first post, since you can fax from both the ADF and the scanner glass, the printer has full functionality. It sounds like it is either a power issue, or a line issue.

When using the scanner glass and ADF the printer draws more power. Make sure your printer is plugged directly into the wall outlet, and not a surge protector or power bar, this ensures the printer is getting full power.

Also, try changing the Error Correction Mode (ECM). The phone line connection might be noisy. Phone lines with poor sound quality (noise) can cause faxing problems. Check the sound quality of the phone line by plugging a phone into the telephone wall jack and listening for static or other noise. If you hear noise, turn Error Correction Mode (ECM) off and try faxing again.

To change the ECM setting from the control panel
1. From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup.
2. Touch Fax Setup.
3. Touch Advanced Fax Setup.
4. Touch Error Correction Mode to turn on or off.
5. Select On or Off.

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Is there an HP support representative who can help?

HP Recommended

Hi @gurs,

Welcome to the HP Community.

I understand you are getting "error 340" when trying to fax from the ADF of your HP Officejet Pro 8630. I will do my best to help.

Based on what you have explained in your first post, since you can fax from both the ADF and the scanner glass, the printer has full functionality. It sounds like it is either a power issue, or a line issue.

When using the scanner glass and ADF the printer draws more power. Make sure your printer is plugged directly into the wall outlet, and not a surge protector or power bar, this ensures the printer is getting full power.

Also, try changing the Error Correction Mode (ECM). The phone line connection might be noisy. Phone lines with poor sound quality (noise) can cause faxing problems. Check the sound quality of the phone line by plugging a phone into the telephone wall jack and listening for static or other noise. If you hear noise, turn Error Correction Mode (ECM) off and try faxing again.

To change the ECM setting from the control panel
1. From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup.
2. Touch Fax Setup.
3. Touch Advanced Fax Setup.
4. Touch Error Correction Mode to turn on or off.
5. Select On or Off.

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Marcelus.  The printer was plugged directly into the wall outlet, so it wasn't a power issue.  But turing off the ECM did the trick, now the fax is successful whether from the glass or the ADF.  I still can't quite wrap my head around why ECM would function differently depending on whether the glass or ADF is used, but I'll save that mystery for tomorrow.  For today, my problem is solved! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.