Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4240
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm afraid my scanner is not working anymore.

When I try to properly turn it on, it just hangs on as seen in the photo: 

Photosmart not working.jpg

My PC doesn't seem to recognize it either.

Is my scanner dead?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @lopezDavid,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Photosmart C4240 All-in-One Printer.

This could be a hardware issue with the unit.

I suggest that you follow the step by step guide listed below to reset the printer: 

1.Disconnect if there is any fax or USB cable connected to the unit and then turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2.With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4.Wait at least 60 seconds.

5.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

6.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. 
8.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP phone support from this link: www.hp.com/contacthp
You may select the country and type the product# of the unit and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @lopezDavid,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Photosmart C4240 All-in-One Printer.

This could be a hardware issue with the unit.

I suggest that you follow the step by step guide listed below to reset the printer: 

1.Disconnect if there is any fax or USB cable connected to the unit and then turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2.With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4.Wait at least 60 seconds.

5.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

6.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. 
8.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP phone support from this link: www.hp.com/contacthp
You may select the country and type the product# of the unit and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbow23, thank you so much for the help.

I followed the steps and the scanner seemed to be fixed:

Scanner 2.jpg

However, when I tried to turn it on, it didn't respond.

I'll try to contact HP. Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Sorry, the photo is not shown:Scanner 2.jpg

HP Recommended

It's totally fixed.

Thank you, @Rainbow23, for the help.

It just had to be done more than twice, but in the end, it worked!

HP Recommended

Hi @lopezDavid,

You are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience in going through the troubleshooting steps.

Feel free to ask your queries in future as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.