Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

HP Photosmart 5520

When scanning photos, selecting a resolution above 300 ppi results in separate images of different small parts of the photo, rather than a single image of the whole photo. Why is that ?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@helppleh, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand your scans are coming out as separated images when a higher resolution is selected. To provide you with an accurate solution, I would like to know the following-

Which application are you trying to scan from?

Could you share the sample of the document scanned at a higher resolution?

Is it the first time you are facing such an issue?

Meanwhile, Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have installed updates a few days ago.

I am putting a photo print on the scanner bed, to scan to my desktop.

In HP Utility I enable 'Scan to Computer'. In 'Edit Scan Tasks' highlight 'Photo (JPEG)', and in 'Edit' select 'Photos, Graphics, Etc'  in 'Presets'; 'JPEG' in 'Output Type'; and 'Desktop' in 'Scan To'.

In 'Show Details' from the dropdown menus for each item the following are preselected :

'Picture' in 'Type'; 'Source' is greyed off, but flatbed is showing; 'Portrait' in 'Orientation'; 'Color' in 'Mode'; '200ppi' in 'Resolution'; 'Item Bounds' in 'Crop To'; 'Optimize for scanning speed' in 'More Options'.

When I click on 'Test' in 'Utility' or 'Scan' in 'Easy Scan' the photo is sent to my desktop in several jigsaw pieces.

I can send you a sample, if you could guide me how to attach images to a message.

Kind regards.

HP Recommended

Hi,

In HP Utility I enable 'Scan to Computer'. In 'Edit Scan Tasks' highlight 'Photo (JPEG)', and in 'Edit' select 'Photos, Graphics, Etc'  in 'Presets'; 'JPEG' in 'Output Type'; and 'Desktop' in 'Scan To'.

In 'Show Details' from the dropdown menus for each item the following are preselected :

'Picture' in 'Type'; 'Source' is greyed off, but flatbed is showing; 'Portrait' in 'Orientation'; 'Color' in 'Mode'; '200ppi' in 'Resolution'; 'Item Bounds' in 'Crop To'; 'Optimize for scanning speed' in 'More Options'.

When I click on 'Test' in 'Utility' or 'Scan' in 'Easy Scan' the photo is sent to my desktop in several jigsaw pieces.

I can send you a sample, if you could guide me how to attach images to a message.

Kind regards.

HP Recommended

Hi @helppleh

While replying, you'll see an attach icon at the bottom left corner (below the problem description box).

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have attached requested images.

Scan 2019-11-21 19.29.01 1.jpgScan 2019-11-21 19.29.01.jpgScan 2019-11-21 19.29.01 2.jpgKind regards.

HP Recommended

@helppleh

Thanks for the detailed description.

On HP Utility change the ‘Crop To’ setting from ‘Item Bounds’ to ‘None’.

Try scanning.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

Before recently downloading software updates, I was able to scan photo prints  to 'Photos' as .jpg using 'Item Bounds' in 'Crop To'.

I am no longer able to do this, and instead get the scanned photo print in several separate bits, as attached in my previous email.

Following your instructions I have set 'Crop To' to 'None',

Also, in HP Utility I have selected 'Photo (JPEG), and in HP Easyscan I have selected 'Photos, Graphics, Etc'

I do get a complete scan of the photo print, but it is set in a small corner of an A4 size scan. See attached.

With your help, I want to get back to a scan just to the bounds of the photo print, which I can then drag into Photos as a .jpgScan 2019-11-27 10.52.37.jpg

HP Recommended

@helppleh

Try using the Apple Image Capture. 

Make sure they change ‘Auto Selection’ to off.

Image Capture may be on setting  ‘Detect Separate Item’ by default which would cause this type of issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I explored Apple Image Capture, and can now get complete scans of both documents and photos using Utility and Easy Scan from my desktop.

I use the same selections in HP Utility (below) for both documents and photo prints, but in HP Easy Scan I choose either 'Photos, Graphics, etc' or 'Documents' from the 'Presets' drop-down menu at the top of the window, depending on the item to be scanned.

However, if I use Scan from the touch screen on the front of the Photosmart 5520 itself, although I can get a complete scan of a photo print or a document, if a document has an image in the body of the text, the only thing that is scanned is the image.

Also, although I select 'Desktop' in 'Scan To', the scanned image is always only sent to the Easy Scan window.

Thanks for your help so far, and I hope you can resolve the remaining issues.

Regards helppleh

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.