Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (845 Views)

Photosmart C7280 won't scan anymore

[ Edited ]

My C7280 will print, but won't scan anymore. I have rebooted both the computer and printer several times. Downloaded the latest C7280 driver, but to no avail. The error message is

4,[(0,12,80004005),(2,7,80040007),(3,7,0)]. Am running Windows 7, 32-bit.

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 6 (814 Views)

Re: Photosmart C7280 won't scan anymore

[ Edited ]

Hello Jennybear, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you are having scan issues.  I would like to help.

I would recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  Once you have launched the tool, select the 'fix scanning' option.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (811 Views)

Thanks, Jamieson, but I already tried this and it didn't work. It said it couldn't solve the problem.

Retired
Message 4 of 6 (797 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Jennybear, and thanks for getting back to me!

I would suggest Uninstalling the Printer Software.

Once it is uninstalled, I would suggest putting your system into clean boot mode within the Microsoft configuration.  You can do so by following this document: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Once the computer is in clean boot mode, I would suggest reinstalling the HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Please let me know how that goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
Tutor
Message 5 of 6 (135 Views)

Afraid that didn't help the problem at all.  I un-installed the full suite as suggested, did a clean boot as per the MS page, and then did a re-install, and I'm still running with a clean boot.

It still doesn't deliver the scan.  I can start a scan from the device front panel, select DOC TO PDF FILE and that opens window on the PC.  The document is pulled into the sheet feeder and proceeds to get drawn along as though it is scanning. My guess is it's doing exactly that.  Then it pauses for quite a bit before finally pulling the rest of the page through and delivering it to the out tray.  At that point there's a dialog that hints that the scan will be sent to <somewhere> but it does nothing and after a while another dialog comes up announcing that something went wrong and allowing me to examine a more detailed error code - the one that appeared in my first enquiry.

This has happened before and someone somewhere was able to point me at an item in registry that needed to be edited.  I've done enough programming in my career including some for Windows to understand that there are all sorts of things communicating with each other through messages.  Part of the scan process clearly goes through some native Windows modules to do with Twain devices attached to the computer and I'm suspecting that the problem is in part of the signalling path that supports the whole process from hitting the scan button to delivering the image to its intended destination - in my case the My Scans folder.  It's also pretty clear that some part of the HP software is monitoring progress but eventually times out which is what gives me the error dialogues and that very complicated message.

Is there somewhere that allows me to parse that complicated string of digits and extract some extra sense from it?

Here's the kicker from my point of view.  I need scan to work - not very often but I do need it to work.  All the advice for your level zero users about re-installing drivers, re-installing windows and so on might solve it for a few folk but (a) it's a pain in the neck and (b) it really ought not to be necessary.  I could buy a new computer with Windows 10 (this one won't upgrade despite being advertised as upgradeable) but will I be any better off?  I could buy a new multifunction device but would I want to buy another HP device only to discover it's still the same broken signalling pathway somewhere in the guts of either the HP or MS software.  My other option is to start again but on Linux where the kinds of software interactions that tend to mess up our Windows computers over time don't occur because device drivers are controlled by a certifying authority.  You know the kind of thing in Windows - some other package installs it's own customised-for-itself version of some DLL and messes up the functionality for other users.

Sorry - shouldn't ramble on about the frustrations of PC's and Windows and HP software but it does drive me nuts.

Anyway ... I'm wondering if someone out there has any info they can point me at which looks a little deeper into the the guts of how the scan process works and does not simply ask me to re-install it all yet again.

Al

Tutor
Message 6 of 6 (116 Views)

[ Edited ]

A little progress - but only a little.  I have been roaming about elsewhere looking for inspiration and landed up on Microsoft page to do with scanner installation problems.  On that page they recommend downloading a tool called IrfanView and using it to pull an image from the scanner via the TWAIN interface.  So I did that - chose the 32 bit version even though my PC is 64 bit.

The result was rather interesting.  First the HP Scanning window opened on my PC and then the scanner started to scan and quite quickly half of an A4 page appeared in the HP Scanning window.  And then it hung.   From an experience point of view this mirrors what has been happening before except that in those cases the image of the page to scan didn't appear.  But the rest of it occurred.  HP Scanning opened, the scanner started to scan and then the process hung.

So a couple of interim conclusions:

1. HP Scanning can in fact drive the scanner - contrary to what HP Print and Scan Doctor says (and yes, I did pull the latest version thereof)

2. The scanner is capable of sending image data back to the PC - witness the fact that I got half a picture.

HP Scanning is still hung ten minutes later so it's waiting for something that isn't occurring to complete the scan.  More data?  A message to announce 'that's all folks'?

Next, and out of curiosity, I restarted my PC and did it all again except that this time I inserted the page to be scanned in the sheet feeder not the flat bed.  The whole picture came over this time and is there to see in HP Scanning.  Which is curious because generally I use the sheet feeder and it hangs usually but not this time.  However, joy is not to be unconfined yet because I now have the three greyed out buttons at the bottom of HP Scanning and they are now no longer greyed out and are active.  Hovering over the Finish button gets the hint Finish Scan and send scanned images to IrfanView.  So naturally I click that and ... nothing happens.  IrfanView receives nothing and HP Scanning sits there staring glumly at me doing nothing.  I guess next is to click Exit and see what happens.  Which I do.  And would you believe it the next dialog announces the following: "The pages you have just scanned are not saved.  To save the pages and exit, click Save.  To close without saving, click Exit."  So of course I click 'Save'.  Kind of the obvious thing to do.  And that takes me back to HP Scanning main window where I can tyr clicking Finish again if I really want bang my head on this brick wall all day.

So, ... a theory or two:

What if the save destination is not available to HP Scanning for some reason?  Why would that be?  Or is it that an intermediary module is not playing the game?  Is it something gone crook in the registry?  For some reason or other it's hanging here and it's very annoying.  And I'm not going to buy another HP All-in-one unless I find out why this is not working.  The next one will likey have most of the same software and thus most if not all of the same problems.

I've had it with the 'complete re-install' solutions and now looking for technically knowledgeable help that understands the chain of events, the things that happen en-route to successful delivery of an image and what can go wrong on that route, and perhaps even how to fix it.

If you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Al

BTW - the printer part of the kit works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation