Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Two days ago I scanned successfully with my printer. It is connected to my PC using a USB port.

Today I opened HP Printer Assistant to scan and got this error message. scanning error.JPG

But the printer is printing fine, the Printer Assistant can open the printer queue and I can scan from the printer control panel.

I have tried to run the Print Doctor twice, on both occasions it just hung (using no processor in the task manager). 

While I can scan from the printer's control panel, this does not let me scan multiple pages into one document. So I really need a fix for the HP Printing Assistant.

I definitely have the latest set of software, drivers etc as it is dated November 2015.

I have turned the printer off and on and closed and reopened the Printer Assistant.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Anonymous

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer and are unable to scan using the HP Printer Assistant. I read that you have run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and that did not help either. The printer scans fine through the front panel menu. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

This is purely a software related issue with the HP Printer Assistant. The printer is otherwise good while copying, scanning from the front panel and printing. 

You may also use the HP Scan and Capture app. This app was developed by HP especially to be used with Win8 and Win10 operating systems. 

There are other options using which you may scan through a software in Windows. Please click on this link to view the options.

However, if you still want to use the HP Printer Assistant only then I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers from the root level by following the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

You may download and install the drivers from this link.

I hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Anonymous

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer and are unable to scan using the HP Printer Assistant. I read that you have run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and that did not help either. The printer scans fine through the front panel menu. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

This is purely a software related issue with the HP Printer Assistant. The printer is otherwise good while copying, scanning from the front panel and printing. 

You may also use the HP Scan and Capture app. This app was developed by HP especially to be used with Win8 and Win10 operating systems. 

There are other options using which you may scan through a software in Windows. Please click on this link to view the options.

However, if you still want to use the HP Printer Assistant only then I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers from the root level by following the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

You may download and install the drivers from this link.

I hope this information helps. Let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for your full and comprehensive reply. I am not wed to the printer assistant for scanning and would love to try the other options. But they need a full, working set of drivers too.

So I followed your instructions and when I tried to install the drivers afresh I got this error message:

printererrror.JPG

I have done this three times and each time I have allowed the software to look for a solution. Each time it reports that there is no solution at this point.

I have searched for the error message and seen guidance to run a level three driver removal - but no tool to do so. and guidance to make sure my registry points to the C drive

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/failed-to-find-driver-packages-to-process/td-p/33099...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Officejet-Pro-8600-driver-not-installing-W7/m-p/3159...

My registry is correct.

Now I have no printer. Help!

HP Recommended

I have now run the MS utility to fix problems with installing and uninstalling programmes - it found nothing.

HP Recommended

Hi

I managed to install the drivers afterall and get exactly the same error message.

HP Recommended

@Anonymous

Let us try to install the inbuilt Windows printer drivers and check if that helps. 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

2. Click Add a printer.

Figure : Clicking Add a printer

Clicking Add a printer

A Choose a device or printer to add to this PC window opens.

Figure : Example of printers found in the Choose a device or printer to this PC window

Example of printers found in the Choose a device or printer to this PC window
    • If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You can now use your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, continue to the next step.

3. Click The printer I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.

Figure : Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings

Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings
  4. Click Next.

5. Select Use an existing port (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB), and then click Next.

6. Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.

7. Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

8. Click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. You can now use your printer.

9. Disconnect the printer USB cable from the computer, and then reconnect the cable. You can now use your printer.

NOTE: If the inbuilt drivers for your HP Photosmart 5520 do not help in printing or if the drivers are absent in the list of inbuilt printers, then suggest you to choose and install the drivers for HP Deskjet 990c. The driver for HP deskjet 990c should help in printing. 

For scanning, you may use our HP Scan and Capture app. 

I hope this does the trick. Keep me posted. Cheers!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.