Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6970 All-in-one Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Often when I try to adjust the height and width of a PDF document that I have just scanned on my HP Office Jet 6970 all-in-one printer, I get an error message?

This message states that the maximum height and width are restricted to measurements which it provides, but which are always smaller than the size of the original scan itself and which are even smaller than the reduced size that I am trying to adjust the scan to?

However, the problem doesn't end there!

I can't do anything with this error screen! It only has an "Okay" button and when I click on this button, this very same message simply re-appears and I am stuck in a loop that I can't get out of, unless I run Task Manager and quit the program altogether?

From what I can tell, this only happens if the number of pages I have scanned and am trying to adjust, are three or more.

Please see the below document for an an example.

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on how to resolve this very frustrating matter.

Thank you very much!Error message that can't be clearedError message that can't be cleared

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Raymolver 

Disclaimer:  It is possible, even likely, (that) I do not understand what you are doing.  The following is a guess.

What are the options you used on the main scan menu?

For example,

What is the Page Size?

What is the Source?

Example - Officejet Pro 9025 - HP Scan - Menu options

9025_HP_Scan_Menu_19025_HP_Scan_Menu_1

In general, if you set the Page Size to Entire Scan Area, the scan will include everything it "sees" on the scan bed.  Even if your printer lacks the "Detect" (grab boundaries) feature, at least some other page size options are available.

Entire Scan Area is a feature of having scanned the data on the flatbed - data / documents scanned through the ADF are the size of the original document and must meet the requirements of using the ADF.  For example, scanning to OCR does not likely include changing the size of the document by obscuring the boundaries (choosing a smaller page size than the original).

If you want to change the size of the data:

Have you considered scanning in the data "as is", that is, at original size and then using other tools and software to manipulate the size of the data / file / document?

OR

Rather than scan, use Copy to change the size of the data.  Once the copied data is the size you want, scan THAT copy into the computer.

References

How to Scan (Windows)

How to Make Copies

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Please see the settings that I have been using, on the first screen, below.

It seems to me that this could be a glitch with HP's software?

How do I make them aware of this, so that they can fix it?

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

@Raymolver 

@Raymolver wrote:

Hi Dragon-Fur,

Please see the settings that I have been using, on the first screen, below.

It seems to me that this could be a glitch with HP's software?

How do I make them aware of this, so that they can fix it?

<content removed>

Glitch?

I do not know, though I would be inclined to believe the issue is either in your installation of the software or that there is some setting or change you are trying to make that is not compatible with the desired result.  That the "glitch" is actually in the software would mean that since April (when this version of the software was released) thousands of people would have had an opportunity to see the problem (and report it).  Anything is possible, however, so bear with me for a time...

Assuming all is correct on your side (settings appropriate for the task),

Try / Consider

➡️  Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

• HINT: Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software
  • Adobe Reader DC software should be installed even if you do not open / view / print PDF files directly from the software.

Adobe Acrobat Reader Learn & Support

Test

• Try a different job / scan of a standard sized document (Letter or A4 depending on your region).
  • Set the Page Size to the size of the paper (Letter or A4)
  • Select Save as PDF or Everyday Scan
  • Scan using the Flatbed (glass)
  • Scan 1 page of the document
  • Do not attempt to change or manage the size of the previewed scan.
  • Check results

➡️  If you have not done so, download and run the Doctor to check your printer software .

The Doctor can help with several issues, including driver, connection, and "jobs stuck in the queue".

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

➡️  Remove Printer and Reload Printer Software

Hints

• Read through the following text, then proceed with steps that are relevant to your situation.
  • For best results, do not ignore the suggested Restart
  • Procedure includes “extra” clear and clean steps for the purpose training and to help “troubled” software installations. Extra sections are marked with an asterisk pair “**” front and back.
  • In general, most installations tend to work better if Windows Updates and your other computer Updates are installed and current.

Printer Software – Preparation

Find, Download, and Save your printer software on your computer.

Open HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One series Full Feature Software and Drivers

OR

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device (full model name)

Open category Software and Drivers (wording may vary slightly)

Download-and-Save the Full Feature Software or HP Easy Start Printer Setup for your Operating System version.

Printer Software – Uninstall Existing Software

Uninstall existing printer software from Programs and Features.

Method One - Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features >

Method Two - Settings > Apps > Apps and Features >

Search or Scroll down

Uninstall the printer software

After the software is removed, Restart the computer and log in

If printer software will not uninstall, appears to be removed and then shows up again, or is otherwise not “going away” when you tell it to do so, try an Uninstaller program.

Microsoft:  Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed

** Printer Software – Lurking in the Device Manager **

Check / Verify:  If the printer is still lurking in the Device Manager, remove it.

Control Panel > icon view > Device Manager

Expand category Printers

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Expand category Imaging Devices

If any unwanted printer name or “Unknown Device” is listed,

Right-Click on the printer / device > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in

** Printer Drivers – Lurking in Devices and Printers **

Check / Verify:  If the printer drivers are still lurking in Devices and Printers, remove driver(s) related to the printer.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Left-Click on any unwanted Printer found in the Printers list

Clicking on a printer, displays options along the ribbon (near the top of the Devices and Printers window)

Click Print Server Properties > tab Drivers

Click on Driver(s) in list, select Remove > OK to exit menu

Back in Devices and Printers > Right-Click on the printer > Remove Device

** Printer Software – Lurking in the User Account **

Check / Verify:  Printer related files and folders are stored in the User AppData hierarchy.  If you have had trouble getting the printer to work, complete this step to delete files from the Temp folder.

Method One - Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp

OR Method Two Windows key + X + R (Run command) > type %temp%

Delete the files in the Temp folder (It is expected that some files cannot be deleted, ignore these)

Installation - Printer Software

NOTES

• If using USB, disconnect the USB cable between the printer and the computer before starting the installation.
  • Connect the cable when instructed to do so (toward the end of the installation procedure).
  • Some (newer) printer models provide the "Easy Start" install method. When applicable, Easy Start will be found in the Software and Drivers website support page > Category Software \
  • Within Easy Start, you will be given the opportunity to install the software that is available.  Full Feature Software might be described as the "Full Driver" software.

HP Documents

HP Printers - Finding Drivers, Apps, and Updates for HP Printers

HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Standard - Manual Installation of the Downloaded Printer Software

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the Full Feature Software or HP Easy Start Printer Setup (likely Downloads)
  • Double-tap on the installation package to start the installation of the software

NOTES

1. If you use the EasyStart method, select the Full Feature Software (full driver) when the option is presented.
  2. After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

** Optional - Video help **

NOTE:  Videos may be found in one or more locations (depending on printer / software / version)

Open the printer Software and Drivers page >

Scroll down and select Related Videos > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

** Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer” **

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open the printer Website Support Homepage >

Scroll down and select Video Tutorials > Click View All >

Find and view the relevant video

AND / OR

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and the search window to narrow the search. 

For example,

Category Printers and All-in-Ones > Install, Setup, Drivers

• Select your Video

** Optional - For Windows 10 Users – Compatibility Mode **

If you have been having trouble getting the printer software to fully install (Printer Assistant is functional and Scanning works), consider using Compatibility.  Note that this method only fixes “one type” of difficulty; installing this way may – or may not – make the necessary difference.

Right-Click on the downloaded installation file > Properties > Compatibility 

Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

Select Windows 7

Click Apply and OK to close the Properties menu

Right-Click on the installation file and select to Run as Administrator

Firmware

Consider installing the printer Firmware

READ (when provided) all information and instructions before installing the firmware

If / After the firmware is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:  Firmware is normally updated after the printer software is installed / functional.

Repeat the Test.

It is possible I am missing something, of course.

Should I think of anything else, I will post back.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions above. I will certainly do as suggested and let you know the results.

Just one issue that I have noticed.

I am using a 64 bit laptop, but when I had to run Task Manager to abort the printer program, I noticed that this printer software is 32 bit. 

Do you know whether there is both 32 bit and 64 bit printer software and if so, whether I should rather install the 64 bit one?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Raymolver 

HP Scan is a 32 bit software - completely normal.

If you look in the Program Files and Program Files (x86), you will find printer software in both categories.

32 bit software runs in 64 bit and there was no reason to rewrite the "scan" code.  

As a matter of course, the installation will accept (consider) your OS "bit" code when installing.  If you are running Windows 10 32 bit, for example, the printer software would all install into Program Files (x86).

Example - Officejet Pro 9025 - Task Manager - HPScan Properties

Task_Manager_HP_Scan_Properties_1Task_Manager_HP_Scan_Properties_1

Reference

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One series Full Feature Software and Drivers

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello again Dragon-Fur,

I have followed your instructions above "to the Letter" and I have done a clean re-install of the latest printer software, but unfortunately the glitch is still there!

Now that we are really struggling with this one, let me give you more information on what I am trying to do.

I am trying to scan old birthday cards into pdf format (Please don't ask me why I would want to do something like this 😉).

As you know, these cards come in various sizes, which are almost always not the standard printing sizes. I therefore use the "Detect Content on Page" option for these scans.

The problem I am having is that not all pages of a card are scanned to the same measurements (i.e.height and width), meaning that the software seems to be having problems defining the exact edges of each page very accurately.

I therefore select the "More>" option at the top right hand corner of the screen, which displays all the pages scanned for the current pdf document that I wish to create (i.e.one complete birthday card).

This screen then displays images of all the pages I have scanned and if I click on "Manage Images" under the heading "Detailed Adjustments", I can see the selected (active) image in the "Original Scan Box".

This selected image has dotted lines around it, which I can click on and drag, in order to adjust the width and/or height of the image.

In the bottom right hand corner of this screen, the height and width of the selected image are also shown in centimeters. These measurements can also be altered manually in order to adjust the size of the image, or they will automatically adjust if one uses the "drag" option to amend the images size.

If one clicks on a different image, it will the replace the first active image in the "Original Scan" box and it's measurements will now be displayed in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

I am therefore simply using this method to try to adjust all the images, in this single pdf document that I plan to save, so that all images are the same size (as per the original birthday card).

I therefore don't see how I could be "doing something I am not supposed to be doing".  As far as I am concerned, I am using the software exactly as it was designed to be used.

However, the very second that I try to adjust the third image that I have scanned, the software plays up and issues this problem message, which is plainly nonsensical to me.

Nevertheless, I am not even able to click on "Okay" to close the message and then try to adjust the measurements of the image to a size that is acceptable to the software.

As I say, it is impossible to close, remove, or ignore this message as, as soon as this message is displayed the whole program freezes up and it doesn't matter how many times I click on the "Okay" button, it just keeps coming back.

Unfortunately, I am one of those pedantic people who want the program to work properly (as it should) and hence my persistence and perseverance with this matter.

I know this version of this software has been around since April 2018 and that this issue doesn't seem to have been picked up by anyone else as yet (as far as I can tell), but then again, how many people have tried to do what I am trying to do?

Therefore, I would really appreciate expert advice on how to get this matter resolved..

Thank you very much (in anticipation!) for your help in this regard!

Regards,

Ray Molver

HP Recommended

@Raymolver 

You are welcome.

I appreciate the level of commitment to the task.

@Raymolver wrote

..."I therefore don't see how I could be "doing something I am not supposed to be doing".  As far as I am concerned, I am using the software exactly as it was designed to be used."

OK.

I have not used the scan software in the manner you describe.  I cannot judge the method, the outcome, or the behavior of the software.   The software installation is likely not the culprit.  It could be you are asking the software to complete something  correct and reasonable, yet the software cannot do it . Assuming that is the case, then "glitch" is as good as any other description.

I can offer some general ideas based on what I have used / tried.

Parts of the whole might be useful to you...

For those reading - the tools used in the following  are generally available in already installed / available software.

Scan the data 

If the printer scan software does not detect the boundaries of the item as needed, and the boundary of the card is (for example) the same color as the background of the scan plate (white), consider

• Place an off-white backdrop behind the cards.  This might be a really bad idea - "just throwing it out there".
  • Carefully trace an outline around the edge of the card pages to differentiate the desired boundary of that card face.

OR

Create a set of scans > Save as JPG > save an image of each face (page) of the card 

Place the card face down on the glass > scan > save "page" > open card > scan next "page" > save > repeat...

What Size?

Select either a single scan "Page size" that includes the "known boundary" of the card face (for example, 5x7 inches),

OR

Use Detect and let the scanner "guess" at the boundaries - the point is to get a scanned image that (at least) encompasses the content. 

Images - Ready the data / image files for the document in which they will be used.

If the images have been scanned in at different sizes - for example, the result of having used "Detect" as opposed to using a standard / selected size for the scan,

If you need each image to be the same size,

Then

Edit any mis-sized images to crop / clip / modify the boundaries.

Open Paint (mspaint)

• Open one of your card scan image files, for example, "Page 1" (Front of card)
  • Optional:  File > Properties > Set Units to Inches >
  • Edit the content - for example, move the boundaries, copy-paste to cover areas, add text, crop, rotate, resize...
  • Save the edited scan / data.  NOTE: If desired, use File > Save-As to save the edited form into a new file name.

Reconstruct the data into a "card"

Start a Word document

• In Layout, set the Page Size to match the folded size of the card you are going to recreate.

• Set the margins to narrow (most printers will tolerate a half-inch margin 

OR

• Set the margins to custom as small as printer will tolerate.

• Insert > Pictures > find and insert each of the image files into the document in the order of the page sequence.

For example:  insert an image file on each "page" of your document:

Front (page 1), Inside left (page 2), Inside right (page 3), Back (Page 4)

Notes

1. Images will likely not insert at 100 percent, though you can generally get close.
  2. Not covered here:  Image placement rules, centering, edging...

• File > Save the document as a Word  ".docx" file (to preserve the contents)

• Next, without closing the file, FileSave-As > and select and save the document as a PDF file

If the point of the exercise is to recreate the cards for the purpose of printing them,

Then

• Open the PDF file in Adobe Reader DC

• Set up and Print as a booklet.

By all means, use plain paper to test - and do not overthink the orientation - Adobe knows how to orient booklet pages.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Avery Design and Print

Example

If the point of the exercise is to recreate the cards for the purpose of printing them,

If you do not object to having the file set into a proprietary format,

Then

• Use the Avery software to construct the card - for example, select Avery template 8316 (built into the software) to create a "1/2 fold-tall card that uses a "Letter" size sheet of paper (8.5 x 11 inches)
  • Add saved images to each "side" of the card (front, back, inside left, inside right)
  • Save
  • Use the software to print the card

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

References

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, and examples:

Printing Labels_Business-Cards_Cards

Print Labels, Business Cards, Cards, Booklets, Create Template/Table

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@dragon-fur

Thank you very much for the time and effort that you have taken to provide all the suggested solutions above.

While we wait for HP to fix this glitch, I have decided to handle this matter as follows:

1. Scan these cards with the HP printer software
  2. Save each card in pdf, without adjusting the scanned measurements at all
  3. Download and install a 14 day free trial of PhantomPDF Editor
  4. Use this free trial to crop the pages of the saved cards to ensure that all the pages in each card are the same size.

I have already tested this and it works fine.

This seems to me to be the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem for the time-being.

Regards,

Ray Molver

HP Recommended

@Raymolver 

You are welcome.

It makes sense to use what works.  

Happy Printing.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.