Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

You will recall that 3 years ago you helped me with the installion of OCR on my Photosmart 5520 printer.

I have had a complete rebuild of my PC and have attempted to follow the same procedure as before.

Alas, this time, the OCR button will not accept a tick

Can you offer me any more help please

Yours sincerely

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @DavidDT

I see that you were interacting with @sandytechy20. I'd like to jump in with some instructions 😉

I understand that you are looking to scan the files using OCR so that the files can be edited after scanning. You mentioned that the Photosmart 5520 software does not come with this feature for Win 7. But in my experience, it does work by saving the files in editable text format.

First, Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.

Restart your computer.

Download and install the full feature printer software from here: http://hp.care/2qG1qmg 

Once done try scanning using the HP Scan app that comes with the printer software (Double click on the printer icon on the desktop to get the HP scan) Try saving the scan file as .doc or .rtf and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@DavidDT

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you want to install a OCR software. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Click here and type in the printer model number and the operating system to download the full feature software for this printer.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but that download does not include OCR which is still missing from my Photosmart 5520 printer.

Can you help more please, as I know that it CAN be done but I don't have the knowledge.

Many thanks

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply.

• Download and install the HP Easy Scan app (in English) from the App Store.
  • Place the document or photo printed side down on the scanner glass, then close the scanner lid.
  • In HP Easy Scan, select your printer name from the Scanner drop down menu.
  • Select your scan type from the Presets menu.
  • Click Scan.
  • Click Scan Next Item to add additional pages, or click Done.
  • Click the thumbnail version of the scanned item in the left panel. The item displays in the right preview pane.
  • Click Edit to adjust colors, straighten the scan, or crop the size.
  • To save your scans to a folder on the Mac, click Send in the bottom right corner of the window, then click Folder.
  • In the window that displays, click the Where menu to browse to the folder you want to save the file to, then click Save.
  • Before saving change the format anything other than PDF.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, but my computer is a IBM type PC, not a MAC.

So the proposal was not much use

HP Recommended

@DavidDT

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the situation better.

Click here to download standalone OCR software.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again, but loading IRIS OCR only gives me a trial copy, else I have to buy it !

Which is not the idea.

I'm sure that somewhere buried in HP printer drivers there is a free OCR sub programme, as I used to have it on my printer "Assistant" -> "HP Scan". As I said at the beginning of this long dialogue, I had been directed to the driver for an HP OfficeJet 8600 but for some reason that no longer works.

It looks as though I am going to have to give this up

Woe is me !

David

HP Recommended

Hello, @DavidDT

I see that you were interacting with @sandytechy20. I'd like to jump in with some instructions 😉

I understand that you are looking to scan the files using OCR so that the files can be edited after scanning. You mentioned that the Photosmart 5520 software does not come with this feature for Win 7. But in my experience, it does work by saving the files in editable text format.

First, Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.

Restart your computer.

Download and install the full feature printer software from here: http://hp.care/2qG1qmg 

Once done try scanning using the HP Scan app that comes with the printer software (Double click on the printer icon on the desktop to get the HP scan) Try saving the scan file as .doc or .rtf and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you. At last it seems to work, but the trick is that I have to scan the document as "Photo to file" at the menu where it says "jpeg".

I can then, and only then, change the setting to item type "document" and file type to "Text (.txt)" or "Ruch text (.txt"), or alternatively if I want a non-editable file, to .pdf.

Thanks for your help.

Incidentally, I also downloaded a free OCR progamme pending resolution of this problem, but I thik I can delete that now.

Yours sincerely

David

HP Recommended

Hello, @DavidDT

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.