Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

The scan to  email on my HP OfficeJect Pro 6830 suddenly stopped working.  I have gone through the setup to restore the factory defaults on the printer already.   After restoring, I am adding a email account to the scan to email.  The printer says it is sending me a pin but i am not receiving a pin.  I've tried several email accounts and it still cannot send me a pin.  Does anyone know how to resolve this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try using the Scan to Email feature again, it should now work again as there were some server issues going.

If any email not yet being received click the HP ePrint icon and select Settings, then click on Remove Web Services and Confirm.

Next, tap Scan > Scan to Email and follow the steps on screen to re-register the app by providing your personal email, a PIN Code should be received this time.

Now check for any difference.

For the described error, this refers to the WebScan feature of the printer and have not much to do with Scan to Email, the WebScan feature must be enabled under Settings > Security > Administrator Settings, then it will become enabled, the WebScan feature is disabled by default unless being enabled from there.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ylin168

I have seen several of these "send me a pin" posts.  I have never had a printer send me a Scan to Email PIN number.

Know that the following may be completely wrong in context (for your situation).

The way I understand it (again, my printers / setup might differ from your own), the use of the Scan to Email PIN is not required.  This feature can be used to protect your Scan to Email profile (email address) information by requiring the PIN be typed in to use Scan to Email.  If you have control over your printer, your network, and your computer, you likely do not need to use the PIN option.

The PIN can be updated or cleared / removed using the Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Example:

Scan to Email - Set / Edit the profile and (optional) PIN

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Scan > Scan to Email > Outgoing Email Profiles

Create (new) / Edit (existing) / Test  or Save and Test (new or existing) profile settings

EWS_8630_Scan_Email_Edit_Profile_2EWS_8630_Scan_Email_Edit_Profile_2

The PIN entry can be removed (box cleared).  In so much that I am aware, the changes (after being saved) are available (effective) immediately.  It MIGHT be necessary to restart the printer.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have gone to the printer's ip address and clicked "Scan".  I am getting this message: "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the printer".  

This is a personal printer so there wasnt anything that was restricted on the setup.  I've tried going back to the printer and clicked Scan, it then asks me to input a email address and it will then send me a pin.  I still dont ever get the pin.  Is there a setting in the printer's menu to allow me to disable the pin?

HP Recommended

@ylin168

@ylin168 wrote:

I have gone to the printer's ip address and clicked "Scan".  I am getting this message: "You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the printer".  

This is a personal printer so there wasnt anything that was restricted on the setup.  I've tried going back to the printer and clicked Scan, it then asks me to input a email address and it will then send me a pin.  I still dont ever get the pin.  Is there a setting in the printer's menu to allow me to disable the pin?

When you say "gone to the printer's address", do you refer to having opened your browser and entering the printer's IP address?  Assuming "Yes, that is what is meant."

Cannot fathom why the simple act of opening EWS and clicking the Scan tab would refuse to switch to the scan setup.  The only way I know to have disabled this is through deliberate action on the part of the printer administrator (you).  You would know if you had edited the administrative setup.  ??

We can ask someone who may know the answer...

@ShlomiL 

If you know...What is going on here?  I have been avoiding these particular inquiries because  never in my life have I had a printer claim it would send me a PIN for the fact of having set up Scan-to-Email.  I admit I have not set up "Scan to Email" on a printer's control panel  (I do amost anything to avoid typing on a printer's tiny control panel.)

What am I missing?  Thanks!

Note that this is one of several inquiries on this same issue (printer claiming it would email a PIN).  ??

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try using the Scan to Email feature again, it should now work again as there were some server issues going.

If any email not yet being received click the HP ePrint icon and select Settings, then click on Remove Web Services and Confirm.

Next, tap Scan > Scan to Email and follow the steps on screen to re-register the app by providing your personal email, a PIN Code should be received this time.

Now check for any difference.

For the described error, this refers to the WebScan feature of the printer and have not much to do with Scan to Email, the WebScan feature must be enabled under Settings > Security > Administrator Settings, then it will become enabled, the WebScan feature is disabled by default unless being enabled from there.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL

Thanks!

OK - will add the "webscan" bits to my notes.  I did not realize it is disabled by default.  I edit the Administrative setup right when I set up my printers.   I never "caught" this or I had forgotten (likely).  Smiling.

Edits - Dragon Notes - Enlightenment

The basic methodology used with "Scan-to-Email" is model dependent. 

Examples:

HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 - User Guide > Chapter 4, Page 36

(Supports Digital Filing) HP Officejet Pro 8740 - User Guide > Chapter 2, Page 14

Printers that do not support Digital Filing, that is, those printers (including the OfficeJet Pro 6830) without the ability to connect directly to the smtp server, use Web Services and the Scan-to-Email App to configure, process, and send Scan-to-Email content.  Some printers provide setup access to the App on the printer's front panel.

The Scan-to-Email App uses Web Services as a means to communicate between the printer and the Cloud servers where the scan email is processed.  For this reason, Web Services must be running on the printer: HP Printers - Turning On Web Services

Web Services provides the connection between the printer and the HP Connected / Cloud Servers that are used to register and process the scan email.  For this reason, the HP Cloud Servers (at HP) must be running and providing service during Scan-to-Email registration (setup) and later, too, when Scan-to-Email is used to send scan email(s).

During Scan-to-Email registration (setup), an HP Cloud Server sends (back to the owner) a confirmation email that includes a PIN number.  The PIN is used to verify the owner's email address information.  The PIN is used to prove "I am me".

If there is a break in the service (Web Services communication between home network and the Cloud servers), the PIN cannot be sent and / or scan emails dependent on the Cloud servers cannot be processed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My printeer is now sending me a pin.  It looks like the server problems were the cause and the scan to email function is working.  Thank you all for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.