Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I have an HP 8600 that was scanning to email just fine until one day it wasn't.  I went through some steps with this Forum and, which included doing a semi-reset, and eventually got into the EWS to recreate a set of email addresses. 

But when I tried to scan to email I got the message at the top of this thread; "SMTP server requires authenication. make sure the username and password are specified."

I have both Gmail and Yahoo mail addresses in the address book and all ge tthe same message. The printer does recongnize and acknowledge being connected to my local network and IP address.

Would appreciate help getting the scan to email function back working. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tankshermy

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance to fix "SMTP server requires authenication. make sure the username and password are specified."  error. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• When did this issue start?
  • Did you do any changes to the printer?

Meanwhile, follow the below steps to fix this issue:

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are settingWithin the

Within the Signing in section ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off", as well ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "Allowed", otherwise the verification will fail.

https://myaccount.google.com/
for the printer.
Recent

activity section click on "Devices", if you see any blocked connection attempt (it will be highlighted in red) click on Yes and follow the steps by allowing access for less secure apps...

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

If you still experience difficulties, ensure that you use the correct logon details for Gmail as following:

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com

Porrt: 465

SSL REquired: Checked

LOGON Required: Checked

User: your full gmail email address

And your gmail password

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@tankshermy

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance to fix "SMTP server requires authenication. make sure the username and password are specified."  error. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• When did this issue start?
  • Did you do any changes to the printer?

Meanwhile, follow the below steps to fix this issue:

First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are settingWithin the

Within the Signing in section ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off", as well ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is set as "Allowed", otherwise the verification will fail.

https://myaccount.google.com/
for the printer.
Recent

activity section click on "Devices", if you see any blocked connection attempt (it will be highlighted in red) click on Yes and follow the steps by allowing access for less secure apps...

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

If you still experience difficulties, ensure that you use the correct logon details for Gmail as following:

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com

Porrt: 465

SSL REquired: Checked

LOGON Required: Checked

User: your full gmail email address

And your gmail password

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.