Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 7520 all in one
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I cannot download the HP Easy Start.  I get the error message "Safari can't open the file, HP Easy Start, because no available application can open it"  What does this mean and how can I get my printer to work again?  All I can do is print from my computer when I'm in say a word document.  I cannot enable the printer to scan using the printer touchscreen either (never have been able to)

I have a MAC 10.13 system.

I really need to get this printer to work so I can scan documents again ASAP.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.  

R

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @relm60

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I understand that you are unable to download the HP Easy Start and need help setting up the Printer.

I'd like to help.

Please uninstall the all Printer Drivers from your Mac.

1. Click Finder in the Dock.

2. In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, and then open the HP or Hewlett Packard folder.

• If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it, and then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.

• If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step.

3. Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.

4. In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, then click Go.

The Printers folder opens.

5. Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.

6. Restart the Mac.

7. Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, and then select Empty Trash.

Then reinstall the Printer using the Apple Software Update.

1. Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.

2. Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  3. Check if the name of your printer displays in the Printers list. Do one of the following steps, depending on if the printer is listed or not.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm communication and to make sure the correct driver is used. Click the name of your printer, then click the minus sign  to delete the printer. Once the printer is removed, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, make sure the printer is connected to the Mac with a USB cable, or that it is on the same wired or wireless network as your Mac.

4. Click the Use or Print Using menu, then select the name of your printer.

NOTE:Selecting a Generic driver option from the Use menu can result in limited printer functionality.

Figure : Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu
  5. Click Add to add the printer to the list.

• If you are prompted to install software, click Download and Install to complete the installation.

6. Close the System Preferences window.

7. Try to printing

Keep me posted how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for advice to the previous questioner about how to download Easy Start, given the problem with safari not being able to open it. I have the same problem. 

Unlike the questioner, however, I recently upgraded to OS Mojave 10.14, and my attempt to download Easy Start was part of a somewhat desperate attempt to find a driver that will be compatible with Mojave . Will any drivers in Easy Start be compatible with Mojave? I have not found any so far on the HP site. Is there any hope on the horizon from HP? If so, any idea when we could expect such a driver?  

HP Recommended

@CBUTTE

A warm welcome to HP forums!  This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

Are you using an HP Photosmart 7520 printer? If you are using a Photosmart 7520 then we can setup the printer with Apple AirPrint.

Here is how to do it:

1.) Please make sure that the printer is connected to your home WiFi, if you are unsure, you may use the steps available here to connect the printer to your home WiFi.

2.) On your Mac, click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

3.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

4.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

5.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

7.) Try to print.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have similar problem. Using HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 3635 and MAC OS 10.14.4.  I need to print some documents and when I tried to print on the 3635 the MAC showed "printer not responding".

I checked and found the printer was not connected to my wifi. I printed out the "Wireless Quick Start Guide" and followed instructions to remove all HP folders from Applications and /Library/Printers/hp.  Then I went to 123hp.com and downloaded HP Easy Start. The download said "can't move file".   When I clicked on Easy Start in download I got "Safari can't open download file because file is still downloading", even after 1 hour.    Along the way, I followed some instructions above to go to System Preferences/printers. and remove all HP printer images. Then was instructed to hit + and add printer name.  However, nothing came up.

Please help. I need to print these documents.

HP Recommended

Scanner software for this printer is currently unavailable. please contact the printers manufacturer for the latest software. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.