Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 5544
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Until recently, I could select scan from the printer control panel and chose to scan to a PDF format. This is not happening now and I can only save to an image format. Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is the printer connected with a UB or through the network?

Please open the HP Printer software (HP Envy 5540) and select the Scan tab, then click on Manage Scan to Computer.

Can you see the feature enabled or may it return any specific error?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@rogerlaptop101

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

If the issue persists, Delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/54... to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response Raj1788. I have done all as you suggest previously but I still dont have the option to scan to PDF on the printer control panel. I use to but no longer. Any further suggestions gratefully received . Thank

HP Recommended

@rogerlaptop101

Appreciate all your time and efforts!

Refer to this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01879546 for Cannot Print PDFs from Adobe Reader

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788. Printing a PDF is not a problem if I use the HP Smart app but when I first had the printer, I did not have to use this app. To scan and print any document I would select the “Scan” option on the printer itself, (in the control window)  > “select a computer” which would take me to another option to scan to PDF or to an image. Now it will only scan to an image and there is no option to scan to a PDF!!!

As I say, I can use the HP Smart App but I would prefer the original option.

Your advice please.

HP Recommended

@rogerlaptop101

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows using the below link:

Click here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Then, install the driver and try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Sorry Raj1788 but you do not seem to understand my issue. There is NOT a problem with printing. My issue is that there is no option ON THE PRINTER ITSELF to scan to pdf, only an image. Please read my previous message. If you are not able to help me, please escalate my request to another technician. 

As I mentioned before, when I first had the printer, it was possible to do this but following an update this all changed!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Is the printer connected with a UB or through the network?

Please open the HP Printer software (HP Envy 5540) and select the Scan tab, then click on Manage Scan to Computer.

Can you see the feature enabled or may it return any specific error?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Shlomil, that appears to have done the trick, great.!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.