Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
Can anyone help you set up an automatic prefix file name (on picture is "Prefiks nazwy pliku") when scanning to email? I can not set this up from the printer configuration. It can be done through a computer program, but this solution does not interest me because it is impractical. The printer is the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw. I would like subsequent scans to have consecutive numbers, eg scan_0001, scan_0002 and so on.

Przechwytywanie.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@PLST

Welcome to the HP Community

Let's try setting prefix from EWS page of the printer

1) Print a Network configuration page from the printer's control panel. 

2) Look for IP address from the Network configuration page. 

3) Open a web browser - Chrome or IE or any other browser that you are using. 

4) Type the IP address mentioned on Network configuration page into the browser's address bar or URL bar and press enter button. 

5) Go to the Scan tab. 

6) Click on Scan to email. 

7) Then click on E-mail Options and you can find to set the prefix.

Check if this helps you out!

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Sorry but this is not the answer to my question.

HP Recommended

@PLST

Setting up Prefix to scan to email can be done by the Software or from the EWS page of the printer.

Could you please let me know what exactly ur looking for?

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I would like every scan to have a different number, eg scan001, scan002, scan003 etc. I do not want to use the program because my client said he would not install it. The names are to be named automatically when I scan to email from the printer's dashboard. I approach the printer, click the scan, I get a scan file to the email with the number assigned.

HP Recommended

@PLST

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw is designed in such a way that, when you scan to computer or scan from the computer you have to save the prefix manually.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi,

A prefix would be added automatically when the printer can interact with the target folder, meaning when using the HP Scan software or scanning to a network folder.

When scanning to email, the printer emails the scan to an SMTP folder, by doing a such the printer have no way to interact with the target, meaning the email directory, as a such the printer have no way to know about existing scans and it will be saved with the same file name attached to the message, this is how the feature works.

From the email you may save the scanned file as you would like.

Hope that clarifies,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.