Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does the Officejet Pro 8600 do this?  Everything seems to be working fine except for this one item. 

1.  HP Pavillon, p7 1108P Desktop
  2.  AMD ar-3400 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7 GHz Bios Version AMI 7.06, 8/11/2011
  3.  Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Operating System
  4.  863 GB free on HD
  5. 10 GB Memory
  6.  Printer HP Officejet Pro 8600 (network) N911a

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hope this helps:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01425031

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hey there banhien,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately I have seen and read this link and my problem is that first of all it is not for Win 7 and secondly, I cannot locate HP Solution Center.  I may be dumb and looking in the wrong places but all I get is the HP ePrintCenter which is listed as a short cut on my desktop.

Am I overlooking something or doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your answer - just wish it took care of the problem for me  :indifferent:

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4323...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP supplied link does not work.  Ugh!  Great service.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the confusion.  HP Officejet 8600 does not use Solution Center.  The way to tell if the printer uses Solution Center is to look at the printer.  If it has a touchscreen display, it uses a newer version called HP Printer Assistant.  That software was replaced by the printer's icon on the desktop or by going to the Devices and Printers Folder and right-clicking and selecting Open or, sometimes, all you have to do is double-click.  Are you trying to access the scanning software or are you just trying to save a photo individually as a one page scan or do you mean you want all those photos in one file?  The title differs from the response below it so I just want to make sure I understand.  Instead of waiting on a response, I will answer both questions.

What I think banhien was trying to do was provide a link about how to do a multi-page scann but it appears to be a link to the software installation page. The first link did not open for me either.  I would like to add this is just a free community.  Open to everyone to reply.  With that said, I am more than happy to help answer your question.  Here is a link titled "How to Scan In Windows 7." It explains many ways to scan.

Once you have "Activated Scan To Computer" from the HP Product Assistant (by double-clicking the icon of the black printer on your desktop), you have allowed yourself two ways to scan one page as a single document. First is directly from the printer to the computer.  On the touch-screen display of the printer you will see the option to scan.  This is going to be the fastest way to scan one page in and then go over to the computer to access the scanned document.  Click Save and Done.  Simple to a certain extent.  I prefer to initiate this from the computer after the document has been placed on the printer.  I go to Start Button>>All Programs>>HP>>HP Officejet 8600>>HP Scan.  This by-passes the product assistant and opens the scanning software instantly.  Now for one page just click scan and save and done.  For two pages, you will see a plus (+) and a minus (-) sign.  The moment you press the + sign, you initiate the scan.  That will bring page two into the same saved file.  Continue pressing the plus sign until you are ready to save.

Are you having problems getting to the scanning software?  I hope I can help!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended
Really appreciate everyone's help. I don't have any problem getting to the scanning program or using the scanner when trying to scan in a page or pages. Where I run into a problem is when I have several photos, most are different in sizes, that are already on the glass waiting to be scanned. Right now I am scanning them all, and in "preview" I select the photo that I want to scan, move the lines to scan/save the individual picture, and then hit "scan". Then, without moving the pictures, I rescan the entire thing and pick another photo in "preview" to scan, etc. It is very tedious. Is there another way that is simpler/faster?
HP Recommended

Have you tried the automatic document feeder at the top?  I would be a little bit reluctant to use a good group of photos as a test.  I would set a handful of photos you have already done and test that feature just to be certain.  That is what it is there for.  It should automatically run them through the ADF and into the scanning software for you.  It was designed for 8.5x11 and that is the only reason I said I was reluctant but it does have adjustable guides specifically designed to do what you want.  Try that and let me know if that works.  I am just really happy you don't have problems with the scanner opening or working.  I believe the scanner software asks you which method you are using to scan, like ADF or Glass.  Try that for me.  I hope that helps take away a few of the time-consuming tasks.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Scanning photos on super thin paper from the feeder is hit or miss, forget feeding professional photo paper. My experience is that Kodak Gold Standard photo paper jams 100% of the time.

The feeder only works with very thin photo paper and still jams 50% of the time. Since the paper is so thin 15% of those jams damage the photo. 

I purchased the 8600 specifically to scan batches of photos using the feeder and manually place photos on atypically thick paper on the glass. Therefore, I'm extremely disappointed with the feeders lack of tolerance for standard photo paper thickness and the lack of basic software multiple photo detection and framing when scanning from the glass bed.

Scanning software that enables automatic frame detection of multiple photos on a glass scanneris common and available for years.  I've owned multiple Epsons that all come standard with that software and I've read it's been standard on other HP units, so why is it not included on an ALL-In-One that touts it's the best in photo scanning.

Given numerous requests and dissatisfaction ratings for not enabling this function going back to 2011, not updating the driving/software is very disappointing.  I regret spending over $400 on this unit and not sticking with Epson.

P.S. Its photo printing if you don't buy the Epson paper smears and is also hit or miss. As a small business person -this HP product is a nightmare and the more i think about it regret buying the 8600 even more!!

HP Recommended
FYI, for future Googlers... The user guide for the HP Officejet 8600 says NOT to put photos through the automatic document feeder (ADF).

Also, at the time I write this, the HP Printer Assistant still is sup-par, can't scan multiple photos to individual files, and reminds me of a Windows 3.1 program.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.