Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I switched off computer and switched on again - ther scanner then worked!

Many thanks for the suggestions

Roy

HP Recommended

I got the same problem as other users had:

I have print and photocopy with M1132 MFP, but cannot scan! It cannot recognise my USB connection. The error message is "Cannot connect to scanner"

I have already used the HP print and scan doctor, it asked me to restart the computer. And after I restarted it, it still failed.

I use my own USB cable, because there's no USB in the accessory in the original package. 

My operating system is Windows XP,

The printing and photocopying are working a few seconds ago, 

I think this error can be fixed if I can use a original HP USB cable to connect the printer with the PC, which is what that user suggested.  

So would the service team of HP give me a confirmation of the problem, please?

HP Recommended

Hello

I understand you are unable to scan.

The printer doesn't ship with a usb cable. Depending on your location.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02055801

I could try another 2.0 usb cable to see if it makes a difference.

The usb cable should be 6 feet or less in length.

But since the printer is printing then most likely it isn't the usb cable.

Make sure the printer is plugged directly to a wall outlet.

The reason for this step is because the unit already has a built in surge protector and if you have it plugged in to a bar or surge protector, then the unit will not get all the power it requires to function properly and it will cause issues with false errors on the screen or powering on  and
scanning issues.

Check the device manager to make sure the scanner driver installed properly.

Under imaging devices it should list the name of the printer, not pnp, if pnp is listed right click and update the driver.

Here is a url to access the device manager.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/accessdmcpnxp.htm

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Yes, you're right! As I bought it in UK, so there is USB cable in the accessory!

My cable is less than 6 feet.

The printer is plugged directly in the wall outlet.

Under device manager / imaging devices subsection, I can see the name of the printer, and I double click it, it says the it's properly running, so I think the driver has been properly installed.

I've tried those above, but it still cannot solve the problem, what should I do next?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi Max_Peng

Here is a url for troubleshooting the scanner not working.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu01859

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Did it 🙂 Yes i've done !!!

I turned off the original cable from the USB port to another and it worked magically 😄

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.