Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I logged into the printer settings through my browser (via the IP address) and successfully set up an "Outgoing Email Profile" for my gmail account. When I 'test' it, it does generate a confirmation message and confirmation email to my gmail inbox. Similarly, under Network -> Wireless (802.11) -> IPv4 Configuration, I set the Manual DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Preferred / Alternate).

Unfrotuantely, when I try to actually go scan to email on the printer, no matter what 'to' email I put in I get "Cannot find the remote server. Check server name or use IP address to connect" Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? I've read references to the fact that I may need to use Outlook or some other computer-based program for gmail for 'scan to email' to work. Is that true? Even if I purchase Outlook just for this ability, I don't see how the setup steps would be any different?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Nick902 

For Gmail, you have to setup using following way

https://www.siteground.com/kb/google_free_smtp_server/

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Banhien. That is how I have my Outgoing Email Settings set up and it does test successfully. In addition, in my Google Email settings, 2 step verification is off and access for less secure apps is on. Does it have anything to do with not using outlook? Or are there any other possible issues I have missed? 

HP Recommended

UPDATE: I was initially using the "Outgoing Emails Profiles" section. I tried instead using the "Outgoing Email Settings" section and that seems to have solved the issue. Personally, I found the instructions (restated below) confusing so hopefully this is helpful for anyone else using gmail in the future. 

Instructions:

If you are setting up Scan to Email in an environment that uses a single email server to manage all email accounts, configure the settings in the Outgoing Email Settings section. Otherwise, configure the settings in the Outgoing Email Profiles section.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.