Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8715
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My scan to email quit working, and we noticed it after we switched internet service providers. It worked flawlessly prior to that.  I’ve been searching every solution that’s worked for others in this community, and nothing seems to be working for me. My latest error is “the printer is unable to connect to the remote destination”. I’ve changed IPv4 configurations in my network settings, switched to a manual IP address, changed all the information in the scan to email setup from my husbands information to mine, thinking maybe something really simple might work. Nothing is working.  The error from the printer is “cannot connect to server. Check server name and address.” Any ideas what might fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Farmer407

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I understand your concerns and I would like to help. We need to check few details first

Were there any recent updates on your MAC or Printer? Have you check with your ISP already? Since the issue started after changing the ISP

- Ensure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.

-Note:- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. Do not connect it to 5 GHz Network incase your Router supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz

- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, then the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Please check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. This is very important

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Also perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results. Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by touching the wireless icon on the printer display or by printing a Network Configuration Page

Next ensure your Printer have the latest updates

Printer Firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

If the issue persists, disable Web Serviced and Re-enable it. then setup Scan to Email again

1. On the printer click on the Web Services icon in the top left corner of the display.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Click on Remove/Disable/Turn Off  Web Services.
4. Follow the onscreen instructions
5. Restart your Printer and from the main screen click on the Web Services icon again. \\

Try setting up Scan to Email from the EWS Page. Please refer to this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4BZbgl7ZM

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Farmer407

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I understand your concerns and I would like to help. We need to check few details first

Were there any recent updates on your MAC or Printer? Have you check with your ISP already? Since the issue started after changing the ISP

- Ensure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.

-Note:- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. Do not connect it to 5 GHz Network incase your Router supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz

- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, then the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Please check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. This is very important

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Also perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results. Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by touching the wireless icon on the printer display or by printing a Network Configuration Page

Next ensure your Printer have the latest updates

Printer Firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

If the issue persists, disable Web Serviced and Re-enable it. then setup Scan to Email again

1. On the printer click on the Web Services icon in the top left corner of the display.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Click on Remove/Disable/Turn Off  Web Services.
4. Follow the onscreen instructions
5. Restart your Printer and from the main screen click on the Web Services icon again. \\

Try setting up Scan to Email from the EWS Page. Please refer to this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4BZbgl7ZM

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I finally had a chance to separate the networks on my router, and give this another shot.  I went through all the steps you gave me, and here's what I've got:

The printer and MAC are connected to the same wireless network (different names are assigned to the 2 networks)

*This is the only step I did not do - see if my router is able to forward 'bonjour packets' - it seemed the ping test answered that?

Ping test - here are the results:

ping statistics: 10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss, round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 3.106/29.289/68.507/24.491 ms

Printer firmware was updated in my initial troubleshooting

Disable web services & re-enable

Attempted to set up scan to email from the EWS page, while referring to the youtube video link you provided.  While the pages didn't look anything like mine, I followed the best I was able, selecting settings where I was able to find the options for them.

Tested & failed.  This is the error message I got:

The printer is unable to validate the server's security certificate because the certificate is either self-signed or has been issued by an unknown authority. To enable the printer to validate the certificate, import trusted CA (Certificate Authority) certificate to the printer.

I have attempted to do this, but do not know enough about what I was doing to know if what I did was correct, or if I even did anything at all - it said something along the lines of it was sending to the entity for a certificate.  No idea if anything happened from there.

After doing that, in the EWS, I went into Settings/Email alerts/Email Server, and entered 1) email address, 2) smtp server, 3) 465 auto-populated in that box, 4) checked the "always use secure connection (SSL/TLS)" box, 5) user ID/pswd, 6) save and test.

The first time it failed, and I received an email from google saying that a sign in attempt was blocked on my account (this happened when I was troubleshooting a couple of weeks ago & I thought I was on to something because it went somewhere & the receiver wouldn't allow it, but then I got nowhere trying to research this on the google/gmail end of it) because their security standards weren't being met.  So I turned on the allow less secure apps setting in my google account, and tried again, using the same settings, and this time I got an auto-generated "Congratulations! The settings you have configured are correct." email.  

I then went back to the scan to email setup, and it failed again - and I didn't copy the error it gave me.  I just went back in to get it, decided I was going to uncheck the box that says "validate server certificate", and try again, and this time SUCCESS!!!

Just for craps and laughs - and to satisfy the question in my mind - I went back into google and turned off the allow less secure apps setting and tried to send a test email again, and it failed.  Turned it back on & it went through.  So, it seems to be a combination of a box that shouldn't be checked, and a setting in my google account.  I tried so many things when I was troubleshooting a couple of weeks back, and changed a bunch of settings per the suggestions of solutions in the HP community - and I was thinking I needed to reset all of that back to default & can't figure out how to do that, but luckily it doesn't seem to be an issue.  On the other hand, I don't know if any of those things helped me either.  I don't know how concerned I should be about the "security risk" to my google account, but now I can do something again that I was able to do before & haven't been able to do now for the last 3 months.  So I'm happy.

HP Recommended

@Farmer407

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.