Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I keep getting scan to computer is no longer active.  I have a brand new HP ENVY laptop and the HP Officejet 4632.  The IP address matches and I have tried multiple scans and fixes.  Nothing is working.  I have the HP print and Scan doctor.  It also takes 20 minutes for something to complete printing.  Please Help.  I have unplugged the router and the printer and plugged them back in. Nothing will fix the problems.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

pjh811

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

This is an ongoing problem with Win10 and HP scanners.

I have a desktop that is running both Win 8.1 and Win10, and it NEVER has a problem scanning using the HP printer in Win8.1.  But, every time I launch Win10, I get this same error message -- even though I have reinstalled the HP software numerous times.

In my case, though, the message is BOGUS -- because I can then click on the HP printer shortcut on the desktop, open the web page, select the scanning function -- and it works!

If you are using the default software that Microsoft installs for the HP printer, that is likely the source of the problem in your case.

The problem is that the default Win10 printer drivers installed by Microsoft often do not work. I have two HP printers and neither one worked after the Win10 upgrade. We also get lots of posts from other folks with the same problems.

I have linked the driver and software page for the Win10 drivers for your printer: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-4630-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/530504...

You need to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers for the printer.

Remove any drivers and software that Microsoft installed for the printer.

Then, disconnect the printer and install the software.

Do not reconnect the printer until the installer prompts for it.

After the install is done, reboot.

You should then be able to use your printer/scanner in Win10.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

pjh811

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

This is an ongoing problem with Win10 and HP scanners.

I have a desktop that is running both Win 8.1 and Win10, and it NEVER has a problem scanning using the HP printer in Win8.1.  But, every time I launch Win10, I get this same error message -- even though I have reinstalled the HP software numerous times.

In my case, though, the message is BOGUS -- because I can then click on the HP printer shortcut on the desktop, open the web page, select the scanning function -- and it works!

If you are using the default software that Microsoft installs for the HP printer, that is likely the source of the problem in your case.

The problem is that the default Win10 printer drivers installed by Microsoft often do not work. I have two HP printers and neither one worked after the Win10 upgrade. We also get lots of posts from other folks with the same problems.

I have linked the driver and software page for the Win10 drivers for your printer: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-4630-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/530504...

You need to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers for the printer.

Remove any drivers and software that Microsoft installed for the printer.

Then, disconnect the printer and install the software.

Do not reconnect the printer until the installer prompts for it.

After the install is done, reboot.

You should then be able to use your printer/scanner in Win10.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I get the message on a win7 laptop and only when the laptop has been turned off vs sleep. It has to do with the wireless side being disconnected, when laptop is shut down. The message only stays for 5 seconds. The other way I look at it is the laptop and printer have reconnecting.

HP Recommended

The solution I've discovered is to go to the Microsoft Windows Store online and install the free HP Scan and Capture app for Windows 10.  This app works well and on Windows10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.