Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.  For the first few months I had it, it worked beautifully.  Now, when I attempt to scan - either from the device or the desktop icon, I get "scan to computer is no longer active."  One day it works, the next day it doesn't, and so on.  Is this happening because my wireless signal is fading in and out?  No rhym or reason as to when it works and when it doesn't work.  I make no changes to the set up, no changes to the computer it is hooked up to (wirelessly).    I got this new printer because I had problems with my former printer.  I actually have two printers.  Every day I wonder which one is going to work today.  Really slows me down and I just don't udnerstand what the problem is. 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hey clarkrptg,

It sounds like your 8600 is losing signal with the router.  It is possible that when the signal is restored that the IP address is changing.  This can cause printing/scanning communication issues as the software attempts to find the printer on the network again.  I would advise power cycling the router, printer, and PC to get a fresh stable signal.  Once this is achieved I would set a static IP for the printer to help maintain a stable data pathway. 

Follow these steps to reset your HP printer, your wireless router, and your computer.

1. Press the Power button on the HP printer to turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the HP printer.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
  4. Turn off the computer.
  5. Wait 30 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
  7. Wait 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready.
  8. Turn the computer back on.
  9. Wait for the computer to reload.
  10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the HP printer.
  11. Turn the printer back on.

Follow the steps in the video below to set a static IP:

**When setting the Static DNS I would advise using the Google DNS servers.  Primary DNS = 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS = 8.8.4.4

Once you have the network connection established and a static IP set up, then I would make sure to check that the Scan to Computer service is activated.  To do so open the HP Printer Assistant software for the printer, double click on Manage Scan to Computer, and check to make sure it is enabled.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have ths same issue with the Officejet 8600 and multiple PC's (desktop and laptop Wintel) and the printer does have a static IP. It seems that if I connect to the printer using the embedded Web Server interface, scan to computer reactivates. Then a short time later, I start getting the message again..."scan to computer is no longer activated" I have tried to initiate the scan from the printer when I get this message, and the computer shows connected, but then when I try to scan to it I get a message on the printer after a minute that the connection to the computer has been lost, it give some troubleshooting suggestions. Only seems to come back active if I re-initiate the connection through the Web Server. Again, the printer DOES have a static IP.

HP Recommended

If you keep losing communication with the printer, I want to get some information about your network environment so hopefully I can help you.

1.  What is the operating system of the PC you use the most?

2.  What is the name of your router?

3.  What anti-virus software do you have?

4.  What is the printer's IP address?

Follow the steps in this link to turn off Ink Alerts and maybe you should only activate Scan to Computer from the HP Printer Assistant when you need it.  Let me know if this helps or not.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Me too I have the same problem with my HP 8600 Pro. Every 2 minutes, it shows me the message. My router is 10 feet away.

1.  What is the operating system of the PC you use the most? Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

2.  What is the name of your router? ASUS RT-AC66U

3.  What anti-virus software do you have? Norton Internet Security

4.  What is the printer's IP address? 192.168.1.102

HP Recommended

This is most likely the same problem I have had with HP printers for years.  It happens when the printer goes into a power saving sleep state and drops connectivity.  In order to remedy the issue, one needs to walk over to the printer and cycle the power.  It has NOTHING to do with your router or static/dynamic IP allocation.  It is entiely the fault of crappy firmware and software from HP.  The HP "experts" are playing the same old blame-the-other-manufacturer or blame-the-user game that HP has always played.

My current HP printer is the third sub-standard HP product that I have owned...out of three (yes, I know...shame on me twice over).  I owned a top end, expensive laptop that overheats when playing a youtube video and two printers that disconnected when they entered sleep mode.  It will be the last HP product that I ever own...

HP Recommended

I get this error message as well and I have a HP 7520.    I have read the posts from others who get this message and confirm that:-

• my printer does not have to be in sleep mode for this to happen
  • the message flashes up about every 2 or 3 minutes
  • when I am scanning a multiple page doc to PC the scanning function suddenly stops so I have to start scanning again.    (I think it stops because of the temporary loss of connection - Grrr!!)

I have had other HP printers before this and none have behaved like this.

Anyone have any ideas how to cure it as it really is driving me mad........

HP Recommended

Having the same problem with my Envy 4500 All-In-One. In my case I didn't have the problem for the six months I used it unit I installed Firmware Version MKM1FN1547AR.  Running Windows 10 Pro, with no changes so have to assume the new firmware from HP is the culprit.

HP Recommended

I get the most annoying notifcation about every 5 min. that the Scan to computer is no longer active...wireless network is lost to printer...I can print from theprinter so I know it is connected to the wireless .  How can I get rid of this message?

HP Recommended

SOLUTION: Windows 10, set ScanToPCActivationApp task to Windows 7 compatible.

Issue: With Windows 10 and HP Printer – “Scan to computer is no longer activated” error message?:

To Solve:

In Windows 10:

Open Task Manager, go to Startup tab, scroll down to "ScanToPCActivationApp”, expand by double clicking on "ScanToPCActivationApp” or click expansion arrow on left. Right click first entry, choose “Properties”, click on “Compatibility” tab, under “Compatibility Mode”…select “Run the program in compatibility mode for:”, then choose “Windows 7” in the drop-down menu. Do this for each of the entries you see for “ScanToPCActivationApp”…even those as “HPNetworkCommunicator”.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.