Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
8715 OfficeJet Pro

I have successfully set up my scan to email on the computer - tested and received "the settings have been updated and tested successfully" response.

But when I try to scan to email from the device.........I consistently get "server failure - try again later".....

I triple checked all the settings.....even used another email address that I know works.......same thing on the device.

Now....one thing to point out is that even though I received "the settings have been updated and tested successfully" response.....I have never received an email confirming this test....

At first I thought it was my email provider, but if the "test" is going somewhere and being blocked.....that is one thing, but the printer itself can't seem to replicate that........so I suspect it is a printer issue.......I think....

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I will add to this that on a couple of occaisions, after running a page thru the sheet feeder to scan to email, the bed scanner ran directly afterwards unprompted..........and sent the blank page from the bed only via email.  Doesn't do it everytime though.

So the connection to email works at random........just something screwy with the printer it seems........or a setting I am missing somewhere.

HP Recommended

Not helpful getting "attaboy" emails from HP telling me how I am swiftly moving up the ranks in this community by replying to my own message with further frustration..........

HP Recommended

@kill_printer

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP Officejet 8715 printer. I understand that you are getting server failure while doing scan to email and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

• Update the firmware of the printer.
  • Click here to find the latest firmware.
  • Change the operating system to which ever is installed on the comouter before downloading.

Once firmware is updated follow the below steps to fix this issue.

• Check the printer IP address.
  • Press the wireless icon on the printer to check IP address.
  • Select the network tab at the top of the page.
  • On the left select networking.
  • Select Network Address (IP)
  • Select Manual DNS Server
  • Manual Preferred DNS should read 8.8.8.8
  • Alternate DNS Server should read. 8.8.4.4
  • Select apply.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.