Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 All in one
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Printer is working fine. The scanner stopped working. Reset it and now there are no Scanner button anywhere. In Utilities, it states that it is not available and to download the drivers/scanner softwared. Did that and still nothing. Please help.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@sem71

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.
I understand you are not able to scan and I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

Are you able to copy documents?

How is the printer connected, USB or Wireless?

Are you able to print from Mac?

Let me know!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can print, copy, etc. but no scanning. There is no longer an option to scan from my iMac in the setting. It will not let me connect to a computer from the machine either.  

I got it to scan on my old computer that was not upated to the latest Mojave software, but I am not using that one anymore and would like my new computer to work. It is connected Wireless. 

HP Recommended

@sem71

Thanks! It sounds like an issue with the print and scan drivers installed on your Mac. Removing Existing drivers and adding a compatible driver may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps:

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Download and install HP Easy Scan from here

7.) Try to scan using HP Easy Scan.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did that too. The Easy Scan cannot find any Scanner. It is like the scanning portion does not exsist anymore. It will scan to a USB. I think that the printer/scanner/fax software is not compatible with my comuputer's software anymore. It works on the old computer but not the new one. HP either needs to upgrade the drivers or I have to now buy a new scanner. 

HP Recommended

@sem71

Let's check if we can perform a web scan. Here is how to do it:

1.) Touch wireless icon on the printer display to view wireless summary. Locate the printer IP address or IPv4 address.

Example of the IP address on a printer control panel

2.) Open a web browser and type the printer IP address onto the address bar and hit Enter. The EWS information page for the printer opens.

Example of an IP address entered into the Chrome address bar

3.) Click Scan in the top menu and click Start Scan.

Scanned item in Webscan

Keep me posted!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is what I see when I click on scan.

"You cannot use this function because it has been disabled. For more information, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the printer."

Sarah

HP Recommended

Hi @sem71, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @senan6806, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you still have issues after trying out the steps.

Did you try scanning using apple image capture?

Update the MAC and printer firmware to the latest version and check if it helps.

Try scanning using Apple image capture.

Apple Image Capture comes with macOS and OS X and provides a quick and simple way to scan.

Apple Image Capture

1. Place the document or photo print side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid.

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), use it to scan multiple page documents at one time.

CAUTION: 

Do not load photos in the ADF.

2. Open Finder , and then click Go in the top menu bar.

3. Click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.

4. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.

NOTE: 

If a Software for this device is not installed message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

5. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.

A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder.

• Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.

• Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.

• Size: Use a standard paper size or select the Use Custom Size option.

• Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message.

• Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan.

NOTE: 

To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats.

• Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.

6. Click Scan.

Refer this article from apple to know more information about scanning. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

hey this is cuomter care you can call on this number for help

HP Recommended

This solution work for me with OS X 10.13.  After I installed the software from Preview I run again the HP Installer "HP Easy Start" and the driver detected permited to use the HP easy scan software

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.