Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Laserjet pro M479fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I scan a document from the printer control panel, it says the file is sent to the computer, but the file never arrives.

Scanning with the HP Scan software on my computer works fine, but this is less than ideal.

I've had this printer for two months and have not had this problem before today. 

Tried restarting the printer, restarting my computer, uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing seems to work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try below steps and let me know if that may help to get the problem resolved:

Please note that these steps are similar to the steps above but with some minor edits which might be crucial, be sure to carefully go through the steps and run CMD as Admin, if the command fails please clarify what error is returned while running the command.

• From the Start menu click the Gear icon, select Apps, and uninstall the HP Basic Device Software for your printer.
  • From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter till any command completes
  • processing:
    takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /r /d y
    icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
    for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpesclscan*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
    takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /A /r /d y
  • If your PC language is not in english, please change y for the takeown command (the first and last command to its corresponding value for yes, such as j for Dutch or o for French
  • Download and install the latest HP Basic Device Software for your printer as necessary:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there

you may want try these steps to workaround, captured another posts which says working:

1. From the Control Panel click on Uninstall a Program and uninstall the Basic Device Software for your printer.
  2. Search for CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator:
  3. Paste the following commands as is, be sure to press the Enter key when it stops, till it fully finishes the process, see the sample screenshot below.
    icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
     Note: This provides your user full permissions to the File Repository system folder  (a blinking space when fully processed all commands)

4. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository
  5. Delete any folder that starts with HP besides the one which starts with hpsamd.inf, be sure not to delete this specific folder.
  6. Now reinstall the latest software here: https://support.hp.com/sg-en/drivers/selfservice/closure/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m478-m479-series/...

Good luck.

HP Recommended

That didn't fix it. 

FYI - The last time I uninstalled and reinstalled I used IObit uninstaller to uninstall which probably did the same thing  as those scripts.

For what it's worth, there is a similar post from John375 on 8/4, also with a M479 who has the exact same problem

HP Recommended

Should also note that this problem is not specific to a single computer. I have the same issue with a second Win10 machine where scanning from the control panel stopped working

HP Recommended

What bothers me is that the scanner worked fine for months and yesterdday it would not scan, although it said it did.

Cannot find it anywhere. Wanted it to go to documents, but never got there.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try below steps and let me know if that may help to get the problem resolved:

Please note that these steps are similar to the steps above but with some minor edits which might be crucial, be sure to carefully go through the steps and run CMD as Admin, if the command fails please clarify what error is returned while running the command.

• From the Start menu click the Gear icon, select Apps, and uninstall the HP Basic Device Software for your printer.
  • From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter till any command completes
  • processing:
    for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpesclscan*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
  • If your PC language is not in english, please change y for the takeown command (the first and last command to its corresponding value for yes, such as j for Dutch or o for French
  • Download and install the latest HP Basic Device Software for your printer as necessary:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you - this worked on both computers.

Just curious, what broke and how does one avoid this problem going forward?

HP Recommended

Everything was working well until it wasn't again this morning.

I repeated the process you outlined and fixed it, but I really don't want to do this on a regular basis.

What is it that is breaking and how does one avoid a repeat?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.