Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620

Hello - I have an Officejet Pro 8620. Everything was working fine until my son moved it from one room to another. The scanning and copying functions are forcing me to use the automatic document feeder when I need to make copies directly from the glass due to document size. I tried unplugging from both the printer and outlet, waiting 30+ seconds and then plugging it in, but that didn't work.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @RKO44 ,

Welcome to the HP Support-Community.

What exactly is the problem with the scanner? What exactly happens when you try to scan something?

From what you are writing I suppose there is a problem powerproblem. I have experienced it several times.

Cheers!

Nils_K

Did you get a solution to your question? Please mark it as solved.

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

I don't work on behalf of HP. | HP Expert program 

HP Recommended

Hi Nils,

The only thing that happens is the printer itself starts making some noises (the usual internal adjustments to a job) and then the ADF starts going. So basically, I guess, it is non sensing that there is anything directly on the glass. As I mentioned, it's "forcing" me to use the ADF but I'm trying to scan/copy items that cannot be put through the ADF (driver's license, passport, other ID, etc). I'm assuming it's either something with the Settings (which I can't figure out) or something with a sensor under the glass.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rod

HP Recommended

Hi Rod,

I also think that there may be a problem with the sensor. Please do "Solution three: Clean the paper feed and pick rollers",Step 2: Clean the ADF rollers and the separator pad (optional)  by using this manual: 

An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and the Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper for the HP Officejet Pro 8... 

By the way: you can change the scanner (ADF / glas) you want to use at the HP software on your PC. Did you try this already?

I wish you a great weekend! 😊

Cheers!

Nils

Did a post help you? Please click on the "thumbs up", to show this and actively help others.

HP Recommended

Hi Nils,

I just realized that copying doesn't work when feeding a documents through the ADF either. The ADF itself works, but a copy is not made. Printing works from my phone/PC. This leads me to believe it is something directly wrong with the glass/sensor as neither copying nor scanning works.

I'm not sure updating the software would help (and to be honest, I'm not sure where to find that!).

Do you have any other ideas? I do appreciate all your help.

Rod

HP Recommended

Hey Rod,

@RKO44 wrote:

I'm not sure updating the software would help (and to be honest, I'm not sure where to find that!).

You can try this but I don't believe that this will help. You can download the firmware from this hyperlink: 

HP Officejet Pro 8610/8620/8630/8640/8660 and HP OfficeJet 8600 Series Printer Firmware Updater

Try this: 

Start a scan from the PC and watch out for these things:

- Open the scanner cover slightly and see if the scanner is illuminated.

- After the scan is finished, how does the picture look like? Is it black, are there any colored strips?

Try this:  

Place the printer in a different room for a test and connect it directly to a wall power outlet. Also make sure that the printer is not set up too hot or cold (20 to 30 degrees Celsius is okay) and is not exposed to direct sunlight.

Cheers!

Nils

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.