Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy TS 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had an update this morning and afterwards this started to happen when I tried to scan. 

Error: There was a problem loading your Smart Task. Please try again

I have restarted both computer and 4 in 1 HP OfficeJet 8700 and I'm still getting the same error. Tried the trouble shooting through the HP website and nothing seen through that were there's an issue to fix. I don't know what else to do. Any idea how to fix this?

Printing/coping as no issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are having problems with the HP Smart app the new feature Smart Tasks

A new version of HP Smart has been released and uploaded to the Microsoft Store.

This version has fixes in for Smart Task problems.

To update the App

On the taskbar, select the Microsoft Store icon.
If you don't see the Microsoft Store icon on the taskbar, it might have been unpinned. To pin it, select the Start button, type Microsoft Store, select Microsoft Store , then choose More > Pin to taskbar .
Select More > Downloads and updates, and choose the Get updates button.

If you need more info on updating Windows Store apps please check out this link

JonW

I work for HP

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

@Brent_S

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8600-plus-e-all-in-one-p... to download and install the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus/Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - N911a-n Full Feature Software and Driver.

Try to scan.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with the HP Officejet 5740. Scanning works fine with the full feature software drivers. It is only when using the HP Smart App that there is an issue. This is the same on all PCs and laptops I have (all running Win10 Pro 64 Bit) and has occured sometime between 28 Feb (everything working fine) and 2nd March (Smart task loading error occurs). Looking through various forums including this, this is becoming a common complaint when using HP Smart App.. 

HP Recommended

Raj, I appreciate your response, but the company I have a computer service agreement with was able to figure the problem out and was able to get my scanning abilities working again. I'm not sure what exactly was done on their part, but update the drivers along with a few other things. Thanks Brent

HP Recommended

Hello.  I have the same issue as Brent_S.  I have uninstalled my drivers and tried to install the new driver and it does not install.  I now have no printer and no scanner working.  Is there a number I can call to get this fixed asap?  Otherwise I will return my printer to the store as it is less than one year old.

HP Recommended

@Brent_S

Appreciate your efforts!

Keep me posted!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

@SteevB

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Brent,

I have the exact same issue on my HP OfficeJet 6968 - you described it perfectly, which leads me to suspect an automatic update by either Microsoft or HP, I can't tell which.

For Raj1788 :
I have attemtped to locate what update may have occurred during the date range that Brent provided and can find none.  Can you search on your end and see which update we should uninstall, please?

Thanks

Brian (Drumbo1)

HP Recommended

Your date range is exactly accurate for the same issue on my OfficeJet 6968 - Lenovo Windows 10 64bit.  😞

After this message shows nothing works:  retry, cancel, nothing.  I have to go to Task Manager and End Task on "Settings" which closes the Settings pane in the back bot not the Actual error message, which reports to nWindows about a "pane" failure.

Very frustrating.  Afraid to remove and attempt to reinstall my driver, because as of now my printer still works.

RAJ1788 help! please

Screenshot 2019-03-03 18.57.24.png

HP Recommended

I have  a Officejet 6954 with the same problem.  Tried deleting printer & all drivers then reinstalling.  Tried Enable/disable Smart Task.  Did NOT fix problem. 

HP can you just get rid of Smart Task?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.