Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

@Davey    Did they happen to mention when in the future they were planning to fix this issue, haha?

Also, how can we download just the regular HP Scan, I have been searching all night. Thank goodness I found the forum, I was worried my scanner was dying on me.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

This worked for me. I believe the error is directly related to Windows updates. I followed your instructions but had to take it a few steps further than you suggest.  I shut down my computer after installing the drivers and reset the printer by following the instructions to set it up again.  I'm very happy with your help. This seems to be a widespread problem because of all the trouble people have been experiencing.   

HP Recommended

HP has a solution that works  Contact Raj1788 a HP Employee.  

HP Recommended

Thanks, SusieQ9779! I've had the same problem the last 2 days. Yesterday I enabled Smart Task and was able to scan without the error message.  I exited the HP Smart App and today, although Smart task is still enabled, the problem is back. Tried several things, including re-installing full driver set for my HP Envy 4520 but STILL have the problem. Don't have any more time to fight with this and am disappointed that HP hasn't provided a fix. I tried what you suggested and was able to scan and save in spite of the error. It is a pain, though, for multi-page documents. I had to save each page separately and then merge them into one file.

HP Recommended

i have solved the issue,,, 

i have spent many nights trying to solve this glitch, uninstall and reload everything etc...

over and over again i get nothing just the same smart task problem...

i called 1300-721-147  its the hp help line.. the service tech walked through it for 30 mins at at the end my printer is exacly back to normal again!!

the way he did it is all on computer "no need to touch your printer at all" 

delete everything and anything of hp on the computer..

reloud the new software that is on ,,     hp.com/123 

it gives a new app called " hpscan"     

use this--- error gone!! 

hope this helps as i was furious and was seconds from sending it back under warranty so i know the pain

HP Recommended

Thanks SusieQ9779, that work-around worked for me.

@DaveyWRX, enabling Smart Tasks didn't work for me.

I did find a solution in another post. Jimboba1 found that they just needed to sign-in to the the app. Once I signed-in, everything worked perfectly. I agree him Jimbaba1 that one shouldn't need to be signed-in to scan, but it works.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Smart-Task-locks-system-up-with-error-in-...

HP Recommended

I did see other posts that solved the error message by "logging in" to HP Smart. I did that and no longer receive the error. I spent way too much time with too many sw loads, etc., and am disappointed that HP would release Smart Tasks w/out more testing or at least notifying users of this issue & solution. 

HP Recommended

Solved for me.
Sefix described by Kristof at
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Smart-Task-locks-system-up-with-error-in-...

Select Smart Task.

An interface opens saying that there aren't any Smart Tasks registered yet.

Closed the interface

Try to scan again

HP Recommended

If you are having problems with the HP Smart app the new feature Smart Tasks

A new version of HP Smart has been released and uploaded to the Microsoft Store.

This version has fixes in for Smart Task problems.

To update the App

On the taskbar, select the Microsoft Store icon.
If you don't see the Microsoft Store icon on the taskbar, it might have been unpinned. To pin it, select the Start button, type Microsoft Store, select Microsoft Store , then choose More > Pin to taskbar .
Select More > Downloads and updates, and choose the Get updates button.

If you need more info on updating Windows Store apps please check out this link

JonW

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.